Need help with my sick chick please!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry for your loss. Do you know about the ongoing Mareks thread here on BYC? https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/741957/not-an-emergency-mareks-in-the-flock

Thank you. :) I have been following it although I can't recall if I've read every reply, lol. I'm just trying to figure out what to do. I'm just a backyard chicken lover, not a breeder or anything but I still want to be able to bring in new birds or sell chicks if I have an excess from a good hatch or something like that. The chick that I lost I had purchased from a 'breeder' locally (but is a member of this site) as I really wanted one of that particular breed. It was the only one showing symptoms.

Folks, newborn chicks will not be exhibiting symptoms of Mareks disease.  These chicks may have splay leg or a slipped tendon.  They need help right away with a bandaid hobble, or a chick chair to help them stand.  Here are a couple of links to read, and many of these things need to be done in the first day or two to help the chicks walk:  http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2012/02/spraddle-leg-in-baby-chicks-what-is-it.html
https://sites.google.com/a/poultrypedia.com/poultrypedia/poultry-podiatry

Yea I doubt it's a leg deformity when I got it on Thursday it was walking Friday it walked and one from then it won't walk and it don't try I pick it up and it doesn't even move but she chirps, eats and drinks when I bring her to water and food so idk what it is

Hi. Of chicks that do splits. Usually due to the eggs being hatched at the wrong temperature. It is not normally genetic, and recovery can be complete. It is important always to keep all chicks on a rough surface. A slidy surface exacerbates any weakness in hatching. I have not personally done this, although I have had 'chicks with splits' that have recovered with a little physio-therapy, but many people say the easiest thing is to tie their legs together so that they are permanently positioned beneath the body. Of course this is rather an awkward thing to do, getting string round the legs tightly enough without cutting off the circulation, but otherwise you should try to keep them moving and their legs will gradually straighten up.

But see she won't move then it's not like the pictures I've see. She sits with her legs underneath but she don't move then really ya know so tiring I don't see how it would help

Update:chick has asses away

So sorry to hear this! Just saw your thread and was going to offer some advice. I will go ahead and give you the advice which you may be able to use in the future...

If you have a weak chick that isn't thriving as much as the others, make a batch of this:
Boil a couple of eggs and use only the YOLKS for the mix. Add a small bit of WHOLE MILK to yolks to make a paste. You want the paste to be thin enough to go into a shot syringe or eyedropper, but not too thin to be runny and drown the chick. After you add the milk, add a small bit of Probios powder for chickens. Warm this mixture -not too hot. Administer to the chick orally via the syringe or a good eyedropper.
You can feed this several times through the day. The nutrients and probios will help a weak chick recover fast.

sorry for your loss, it is tough. And my experience through Tractor Supply is that if a chick dies within a few days and you have the reciept, they will replace it.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom