Need help with purse pattern........

lil'turkeymama

Songster
9 Years
May 14, 2010
Alabama
I have a hand made simple purse/bag that I need to re-build or even maybe replace.I did try making one like it and it turned out way too big.It is lined and made like a bag.I would like to know how to measure the one I have and kinda make one like it.Thanks:)

Can you spread it out flat, measure it from side to side, and then allow for your seams (5/8" seams?) ?When you say made like a bag, do you mean made like a bag with drawstring gathering the top closed, or made like a tote bag with square sides & flat bottom?

Not everyone can post pictures, but if you can, that would be great.

The suggestion to trace around it and add a seam allowance is what I would do or where I would start. Sometimes, when working with a three dimensional object, it can be hard to do that. Trying to trace it and then smoothing out/re-drawing the outline of the pattern usually helps that. The original tracing will at least give you a general size and shape to start with.

Sometimes, you can use paper towels or cheap muslin cloth to wrap around a three dimensional object and get a starter pattern, too. I've done that for fitting a doll, teddy bear or figurine for a clothing item. I have diverse and sometimes strange hobbies.
lol.png

Thanks for the help.I am going to try and get a picture up,I've been having so problems with my camera.
Anyway I figured I should be able to just measure it since its basicly square with a flat bottom.But I think because I have to make a lining too that is messing up my numbers.I have made lots of stuff from doll clothes to quilts,but its been awhile.I've just recently found room to set up my sewing machine and I need to be getting something done.I've already promised my neices I would make them a tote or if we get time let them help make their own.I'm not going to be much help if I don't make a couple before they can come over to work on them.Thanks again for the tips and please let me know if the picture helps with any other ideas you might have.
smile.png

57544_img_0082.jpg

OH! Finally, a question I can answer! These are some of the simplest bags I make.

1. Measure it side seam to side seam and add 1/2 inch.
Looking at your pic, I am guessing this will be about 18 inches?
2. Measure it from top edge to the center of the bottom and add 1/2 inch.
Again, I am guessing 16 inches?
3. Measure the seam that runs along the bottom of the sides and divide that in half.
Guessing 4 inches?

Using #1 as your width, #2 as your height, #3 as the corner cut out,
follow the instructions here...

http://www.simplicity.com/Classroom/Sewing_Free_Projects/tote_bag/FP_Totebag.pdf

AND, here is where you can see some of the bags (and things) that I made and sold at Farmer's Markets.

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=24008&id=1675942885&l=2c10da098b

Quote:
Thanks so much!!!!Thats excatly what I was trying to figure out.
My #1 measure is 11 and 1/2
#2 is 10 and 1/2
# 3 is 5,I guess I half that to 2 and 1/2
The pattern link was very helpful.It put the pictures in my head on paper.
Its not a big tote but just right for me.Can't put alot in it so I don't try take everything with me.LOL.
Now I'm going to try to find something to make a pattern,maybe butcher paper,I gotta get to work.
Thanks again to everyone for the help and ARose4Heaven,your stuff is very nice.
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom