Need help with Ring Neck Dove.

SelenasIceCastle

Hatching
Feb 21, 2019
I was left with one ring neck dove after someone passed away. I have no experience with them. He has not been DNA sexed but due to not laying eggs I’m assuming it’s male. Plus his behavior indicates male.

I have read that they should be kept in pairs? I don’t know if he’s ever had a friend or not. I just know that they bought him from a pet store from a cage that had 3 doves in it but they had just been sold so only him left.

He seems very lonely perhaps. He coos All...Day...Long!!! Relentlessly! He occasionally laughs as well. He is not hand tamed but loves vocal attention. Is there any hope of him becoming hand tamed now that he is an adult? He seems very nervous about physical contact. Also, can you keep 2 males together? I’m having trouble finding another dove but the few I’ve found have been male. Do they mix well with other type of birds in general or no? Could getting him a friend quiet him down? Sorry this was long and sooo many questions lol Thanks for any help!! I’m totally lost on what to do for this little guy! :barnie

I have read that they should be kept in pairs? While preferable a single dove can be kept alone especially with human interaction. I don’t know if he’s ever had a friend or not. I just know that they bought him from a pet store from a cage that had 3 doves in it but they had just been sold so only him left.

He seems very lonely perhaps. He coos All...Day...Long!!!MALE! Relentlessly! He occasionally laughs as well. He is not hand tamed but loves vocal attention. Is there any hope of him becoming hand tamed now that he is an adult?Yes. He should be quite easy to hand tame. He seems very nervous about physical contact. Also, can you keep 2 males together?Yes. Two males will even build a nest. I’m having trouble finding another dove but the few I’ve found have been male. Do they mix well with other type of birds in general or no? Only friendly birds like finches and quail.Could getting him a friend quiet him down? Nope. Twice the noise.Sorry this was long and sooo many questions lol Thanks for any help!! I’m totally lost on what to do for this little guy! :barnie[/QUOTE]Your best bet is to put the dove cage where the noise won't be so obnoxious.

Hello! Doves are very social animals and I would recommend getting a friend for him. And if you calmly and slowly move around it and feed out of yourhand, you should be able to take it. Good luck and keep us posted!

Oh, and welcome to byc!

I was left with one ring neck dove after someone passed away. I have no experience with them. He has not been DNA sexed but due to not laying eggs I’m assuming it’s male. Plus his behavior indicates male.

I have read that they should be kept in pairs? I don’t know if he’s ever had a friend or not. I just know that they bought him from a pet store from a cage that had 3 doves in it but they had just been sold so only him left.

He seems very lonely perhaps. He coos All...Day...Long!!! Relentlessly! He occasionally laughs as well. He is not hand tamed but loves vocal attention. Is there any hope of him becoming hand tamed now that he is an adult? He seems very nervous about physical contact. Also, can you keep 2 males together? I’m having trouble finding another dove but the few I’ve found have been male. Do they mix well with other type of birds in general or no? Could getting him a friend quiet him down? Sorry this was long and sooo many questions lol Thanks for any help!! I’m totally lost on what to do for this little guy! :barnie

Hello. I keep and breed ringneck doves as a hobby.

I hope I can help you with your questions.

If he is a adult male and has been used to living on his own for a long time then he will HATE another male bird and they will fight and get injured. Even having another male in a separate cage will stress him out and he will make even more noise as being annoyed lol.

Males are very vocal and loud. Even if you get a mate he will still be like that. Its just their call, to call their territory and display for their mates.

He will not mind to be a single bird if you can spend several hours near him every day and give him attention.

Even old birds will get tame. You don't need to force him to be tame. Just being round him each day, feeding and watering him he will see you are not dangerous and get tame.

They are easy to train to 'jump up' onto a perch / wooden spoon, stick, so you can let him out of the cage once he has settled in. He will fly about the room and when he is hungry go back into his cage. If you need to get him back in quicker, you can slowly approach him and place the perch near his chest and he will hop onto it and you can carry him back to the cage door. They soon get the hang of this.

Make sure you take all the usual precautions about windows, mirrors, and fans!!!!

They also like a bath. A shallow pan of water he will love to splash about it. It keeps the dust down on their feathers so your house will be less dusty lol.

If you really want a mate for him contact breeder online to get a proven adult female. If you get a young one your male might attack her as she is not ready to breed. If you get an older one she will be eager to get a mate too. Place them in separate cages to start with side by side. After a week let them both out to fly in the room (lots of space to get away form each other if they get into a fight). Once they are used to each other they will snuggle up and you can keep them in the same cage.

Its best to remove any eggs and replace them with fake ones, otherwise you will have hundreds of doves all over the place and each pair needs their own cage!!!

Any other questions feel free to send me a message.

Back
Top Bottom