Need help with this one.

jennaveewhit

Chirping
May 15, 2022
My 2 yr old Easter egger Lindsay LoHen is having an issue and I’m not 100% sure if I have the right idea. She had sour crop and it seemed to clear with yogurt because I thought I caught it quickly. Now her crop was impacted and hanging very low. She is almost trying to push it up with her feet while walking. I have her quarantined in my basement. No food or water last night hoping to clear it. Also gentle massages throughout the day. She has been pooping green on and off but it still is impacted and seems to fill back up with liquid. I gave her electrolyte water and an egg for breakfast. The one thing I’m unsure of is if it is yeast because it smells badly but not sour. More like rot. When I massage her it is quite lumpy as if maybe little masses in there. I’m on day 2 and need a little help in what else to do. Please help LoHen. I’ll put her picture with pendulous crop for you to see.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    356.4 KB · Views: 27
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    307.1 KB · Views: 7
Is the skin discolored under the feathers?

Smelling bad and pendulous, I'd treat as Sour Crop according to the article linked below.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/
The skin under the feathers is normal if a little pink probably from my massaging. I went to the drugstore this morning and got the miconazole and gave the first dose. When I massaged the crop and held it up she let a bunch of air out and it smelled horrible. Not yeast at all but more rancid. It seems like one minute I massage and the next it fills back up with air? She is a bit less impacted today and is still pooping. She had coconut oil twice yesterday and today in her egg which she picked at but didn’t want to eat.

Does she have any yellow lesions or canker inside the beak?

I wonder if a flush would be beneficial since it's so rancid smelling. It's possible that it's just a really bad yeast infection since it's been going for a while. Yogurt generally will not take care of sour crop. @azygous thoughts?

It's good that you have started the miconazole, do give it 2X a day for a full 7 days.

In my experience, sour crop has little or no odor. However, impacted crop can smell putrid from rotting food being too long in the crop. When I find a hen with impacted crop, I treat to break up the impacted material before I treat the yeast infection.

Introduce coconut oil every hour followed by massage until the contents break up and start going down. Then I treat with miconazole to clear the yeast out of the crop.

Good and Bad news. The impaction seems to be almost completely gone with exception of a few little grains. I’m still using the miconazole. The bad news is her crop is full of stinky liquid and pendulous. It smells absolutely horrid. I am going to make her a crop bra. I wonder if I should try and put a feeding tube in and suck out the liquid? Of course I would have to order the items so it would take a few days. I can’t imagine it resolving on its own but I didn’t believe I could break up the impaction and that did happen. I’m so frustrated and want her to feel better and get out of my basement. It stinks to high heaven!

In my experience, sour crop has little or no odor. However, impacted crop can smell putrid from rotting food being too long in the crop. When I find a hen with impacted crop, I treat to break up the impacted material before I treat the yeast infection.

Introduce coconut oil every hour followed by massage until the contents break up and start going down. Then I treat with miconazole to clear the yeast out of the crop.
She also laid 2 eggs today one after the other. One was a soft shell and the other completely normal. So I guess her reproductive area is back on line.

Back
Top Bottom