Need help with washers/hardware cloth. :)

QuackerOats

Songster
9 Years
Apr 8, 2010
Took my first trip to Home Depot this afternoon and got lots of wood to start my first coop!
woot.gif

I will be using 1/2" Hardware cloth to enclose my run, however I can't seem to find washers the right size. I found washers that would cover the spacing in the cloth, but then the hole in the center was also too large... the screw head would slip right through.
hmm.png
I saw someone using pennies as washers. I thought about doing that, but unfortunately I don't have anything that would cut the hole for me.

Is there some specific washer I should be looking for?

Thanks for any help!

The name of the washer you need is a "fender washer". You can also use roofing tabs. They are usually by the roofing nails. Good luck.

Quote:
I got 1/4" washers (hole size, actual washer width 5/8") and was looking for panhead screws to use with them and found packages of #8 Lath screws, you might want to check them out. they are flatter than panhead screws and are 3/8" wide and look like a screw with a washer attached.

I figure I can use them with or without a washer depending on whether I want to put them in the center of the open square of hardware cloth or butt them up against a corner of a square.

Quote:
I didnt think of fender washers, are the roofing tabs nails or screws? I decided against any type of nail in holders... we used fence staples for the first part of the run and decided screws would be better for when we decide to add/change sections (like I need to do now...sigh, sure wish I'd used screws the first time.)

Quote:
Ask for fender washers. I get mine by the box at ace hardware. They are cheaper that way. They come in three sizes Gloria Jean

Back
Top Bottom