Need help with wound care on my hen

Sandorae

In the Brooder
Oct 6, 2022
My hen got a wound in her back from the roo’s claws. I’ve separated him from the hens because this hen is lowest in the pecking order and she is also laying so I wanted her to have access to the nest boxes with out being alienated even more. I’ve given her an Epsom salts bath then treated the wound with saline and sprayed it with vetricin. I covered it with a Teflon pad soaked in vetricin as well. I’m doing this daily but she removes the pad and generally gets the vet wrap off no matter how I wrap it. I put a saddle on her to keep her from getting to the wound or dressing but she does anyhow. She keeps packing the wound with dirt from the dirt bath. I’m not able to get all that dirt out of the wound. I need advice! Should I just let her heal on her own dirt and all or do I really need to separate her completely so she can’t get the wound dirty?

Attachments

• IMG_7125.jpeg
    IMG_7125.jpeg
    495.5 KB · Views: 36
I would spray it with normal saline daily, and apply some plain Neosporin twice a day. Leave it open to air. It would probably scab up more quickly if she was left inside a dog crate with food and water on a clean towel for a few days.

I would spray it with normal saline daily, and apply some plain Neosporin twice a day. Leave it open to air. It would probably scab up more quickly if she was left inside a dog crate with food and water on a clean towel for a few days.
Thank you! She is the most docile of all the hens I have and she won’t run, she just cowers if any of the others try to peck her. I‘m concerned about her being badly picked on if I were to separate her. Also wondering if it would mess her up for laying in the nest box? Her wing covers the wound but she gets it so dirty.

Back
Top Bottom