Need home for chicks

sbriant

In the Brooder
7 Years
Jun 18, 2012
I have a hen who is broody. She is VERY stubborn and will not give up on trying to hatch her (fake) eggs. No matter what I try she will not stop being broody. I want to try getting a few baby chicks to put under her and see if that helps end her broodiness however, I live in San Diego so there is a limit of the amount of chickens I can own so I wanted to know if there was anyone out there that would like to adopt the chicks after a couple weeks. If you would like to you could even tell me which breed of chicks you would prefer and I can try to get that breed. During the time the chicks are at my house I will make sure the chicks get plenty of love (from me
smile.png
) so that they are very friendly and not scared of humans. I don't feel comfortable shipping the chicks so it would be best if you live in San Diego county. Please respond for anymore information if you are interested. Thanks
frow.gif
!

She will reject and HURT any chicks you try to introduce...this is the voice of experience! Something about the hatching experience bonds the broody, i've tried to sneak in some other same-age incubator-hatched chicks....DON'T DO THAT!!! ;~)

She will reject and HURT any chicks you try to introduce...this is the voice of experience! Something about the hatching experience bonds the broody, i've tried to sneak in some other same-age incubator-hatched chicks....DON'T DO THAT!!! ;~)

Thank you SO much for telling me this. A friend of mine just put in day old chicks and it worked for her but maybe she was just very lucky. I would be so sad if cute little baby chicks got killed because of me being stupid. Maybe i'll try getting some fertalized eggs then and see how that goes.
Again thanks so much for telling me
smile.png

I have had broody turkeys. Placing fertile eggs under my turkey worked out very well for me. The first time, I used fertile turkey eggs. The second time, I used fertile chicken eggs. If my turkey gets broody again, I think I will use duck eggs. Good luck!

I have had broody turkeys. Placing fertile eggs under my turkey worked out very well for me. The first time, I used fertile turkey eggs. The second time, I used fertile chicken eggs. If my turkey gets broody again, I think I will use duck eggs. Good luck!
Hehe, is your turkey ever suprised that when the eggs hatch they are chicks not turkeys?

I

I have read manyyy stories that have had success putting chicks in with a broody.

My hatcher has put in baby chicks with her hen and her chicks. The only problem she had is that the babies that weren't hers wouldnt follow her like the other chicks and sometimes died in the elements or from predators.

Last edited:
I always stuck them under thehen at night no problem. Ive also had hens hatch duck eggs and vice versa. The parents look dumbfounded when, they get the wrong kind of baby. Its too funny! A duck will try to teach a chic to swim. And a hen cant figure out WHY, her baby is swimming in a mudpuddle.

Back
Top Bottom