NEED IMMEDIATE ADVICE ON DUCKS

Addendum.. I am presently watching closely one of my 4 - new ten week old new ducks… who doesn’t quack… but no tail feather at this time… I ordered all females from Metzler but God only knows… ,

I have kept all of my drakes and have even rescued a few. I have some aggressive ones and some kind ones but they all tend to be unruly at times.

I use an exercise pen to divide my run and usually put the drakes on the smaller side. Sometimes they only need a days time out, sometimes up to a month +. They tend to get very unruly in their first year, getting worse their first spring as adults. But when they were between 3-8 months, I saw a lot of bullying coming from both then hens and drakes. We just rotated into “jail” as needed and they got to sleep together in the coop at night. I would allow supervised jail breaks to free range together. A lot of space and exercise has seemed to help mine a lot. And of course, I do have a good ratio of hens to drakes, but drakes still tend to pick their favorites who they are rougher on. Spring has brought a lot of fighting and mating, even to the point of drawing blood. But I just try to intervene whenever I can and I also spend a lot of time with my drakes if they allow me to, similar to how I would a rooster. I carry them around for chores, i sit with them in my lap, and I give them some motherly love and attention. Without being “dominant” i try to remind them that I take care of them and I am “in charge” (they are in charge of me but they don’t need to know that). I also have an alpha hen, she in charge of the entire flock including the chickens, and that helps mediate the boys a bit better. However, she was my first duck, and I raised her by hand so she is unbelievably kind and loving. I know some hens who are just as feisty as the drakes are on a warm day with clean water hahah.

Anyway, my point is, rehoming or culling a drake does not have to be a first option. I understand not everyone has the space, time, or means to accommodate more hens or to fairly separate when needed or potentially begin a bachelors flock. But I have had good luck with my boys. I have had plenty of bad days, a handful of days where I’m treating hens with bloody heads, and days where I am chasing them around because they are being nothing but trouble. So, I am not trying to fool you into thinking it’s all rainbows and butterflies. It’s been a lot of babysitting. A lot of separation. A lot of coddling.

Drakes being a**holes is natural. I try to remind myself of this because I know how brutal it can be. But, the overall happiness of my flock is more important than an aggressive drake.

This is my experience as someone who has 7 drakes. I work a full time job and raise them as pets on the side, I believe it can work out! I wish you the best of luck with your ducks, and I know you will chose the best option for your drake even if it does mean rehoming.

I have kept all of my drakes and have even rescued a few. I have some aggressive ones and some kind ones but they all tend to be unruly at times.

I use an exercise pen to divide my run and usually put the drakes on the smaller side. Sometimes they only need a days time out, sometimes up to a month +. They tend to get very unruly in their first year, getting worse their first spring as adults. But when they were between 3-8 months, I saw a lot of bullying coming from both then hens and drakes. We just rotated into “jail” as needed and they got to sleep together in the coop at night. I would allow supervised jail breaks to free range together. A lot of space and exercise has seemed to help mine a lot. And of course, I do have a good ratio of hens to drakes, but drakes still tend to pick their favorites who they are rougher on. Spring has brought a lot of fighting and mating, even to the point of drawing blood. But I just try to intervene whenever I can and I also spend a lot of time with my drakes if they allow me to, similar to how I would a rooster. I carry them around for chores, i sit with them in my lap, and I give them some motherly love and attention. Without being “dominant” i try to remind them that I take care of them and I am “in charge” (they are in charge of me but they don’t need to know that). I also have an alpha hen, she in charge of the entire flock including the chickens, and that helps mediate the boys a bit better. However, she was my first duck, and I raised her by hand so she is unbelievably kind and loving. I know some hens who are just as feisty as the drakes are on a warm day with clean water hahah.

Anyway, my point is, rehoming or culling a drake does not have to be a first option. I understand not everyone has the space, time, or means to accommodate more hens or to fairly separate when needed or potentially begin a bachelors flock. But I have had good luck with my boys. I have had plenty of bad days, a handful of days where I’m treating hens with bloody heads, and days where I am chasing them around because they are being nothing but trouble. So, I am not trying to fool you into thinking it’s all rainbows and butterflies. It’s been a lot of babysitting. A lot of separation. A lot of coddling.

Drakes being a**holes is natural. I try to remind myself of this because I know how brutal it can be. But, the overall happiness of my flock is more important than an aggressive drake.

This is my experience as someone who has 7 drakes. I work a full time job and raise them as pets on the side, I believe it can work out! I wish you the best of luck with your ducks, and I know you will chose the best option for your drake even if it does mean rehoming.
I love @That crazy duck lady approach. I strongly agree with pulling out unruly drakes -- I have 4 -- and putting them in drake jail for time out. I find it's more important to separate a mean drake in the coop as the confined space in there seems to bring out the worst behavior in some drakes. Bullied ducks can be afraid and reluctant to go in the coop but that changes when they are separate from the bad boys

So I strongly endorsecl waiting and seeing with your duck that doesn't quack: even if he is male you may have no problems or only issues that are easily managed

Many here keep a drake jail for things like this. Any chance you can add more females? maybe 3 more would keep him busy to where he isn't overdoing on a few.

:welcome
I call it "penis prison". (I'm a scientist, anatomical terms do not bother me.) Curly Richard is currently in prison. His behaviors were being dictated by that particular part of his anatomy to the injury of his favorite female. I've never had him pull out wing feathers. He bites the back of the female neck to the point he causes skin damage. I have six females and one male. This is supposedly an adequate ratio, but he has one he seems to prefer.
You may have to seperate him and keep him seperate, or rehome him.

Back
Top Bottom