Need Input on Bumblefoot Treatment in Ducks

@eli77722

Please closely read post 32 above. And please also read the responses afterward that clarify questions.

I think you need to get some Duramycin, and also treat externally with the soaks and clear - clear - clear iodine.

Thank you all so much for the invaluable resource. My Cayuga developed a limp then a day or so later we noticed the bumblefoot on the opposite leg.We were able to confidently perform some investigative poking and started the healing process with your help. I was able to find microcyn ah instead of vetericyn today so we will start that. I am still worried about the origional knee as it is still swollen but we will keep bathing her in the Epsom salt as well.

If you haven't done so yet, please join us on the Duck Forum (c:

I realize this post is old but hope this helps!
My Pekin duck has a severe case of bumblefoot and I was hopeless as it had traveled up her leg.
I did not have time to wait for tricide-neo to arrive in the mail so I got what is called Melafix from the local walmart. It is used to treat infection in fish. I assume it's similar to tricide-neo.
I soaked my ducks foot in this solution diluted with my own version of antibacterial components including raw apple cider vinegar and a few drops of tea tree oil.
She enjoyed the warm bath And her bumble foot scabs released easily after 15 minutes. This is far faster of a soak than I had done before with scab removal success.
I squeezed a little but she hollered so I gave up and packed the scab less wounds with antibiotic ointment that is designed for dogs and put gauze and then vet wrap on her.
She is quarantined to a dog crate for now.
I couldn't believe how quickly the scabs came loose and exposed the infection. Although I could not release any "kernels"
I highly recommend this melaffix solution to anyone needing bumble foot care right away.
I didn't dig into her feet but rather packed the exposed pink flesh and holes with antibiotic cream, wrapped and put her in a crate. Poor girl is unable to walk due to the severity of the infection but it is by far the most progress I've made in treating this so far.
I plan to soak her feet again first thing in the morning and repeat until the infection is easy to lift on my own.
Melafiix seemed to make a difference in the foot soak, which I've done before with only Epsom salts.
I will try to keep this post updated with her progress.
She has unfortunately lost a lot of weight and can only be hand fed and watered but I feel way more hopeful after using the Melafix than I was with just Epsom salts.
I spent over $100 at the vet months ago with her same issue. The infection was so deep it was never removed but improved with time allowing her to walk. It came back quickly and invaded her leg. I believe the key is getting the infection out but I don't have any numbing tools or meds and I don't want to dig too hard and chaise more pain.
I'm hopeful with this Melafix soak and although I added my own home remedies I believe it was most successful so far.
She is near the condition of putting her "down" but I am determined to try anything first.
For anyone needing antibacterial solution ASAP, try melafix if it's easier to get than tricide neo.
Good luck!

Hello, My peckin duck has a bad case of bumble foot, I also only noticed it because she was limping, I put her inside in a crate, and soaked in epsom salts we took the scab off and found a splinter maybe? art of the reason it was started he foot is still hot and right above her foot is still swollen :( I have tried to squeeze anything else out with no luck it area above her foot is about the size of a gumball and hard, is it safe to cut up higher and try and relieve it? she has been isolated for nearly 2 weeks with fresh bedding daily and it hasnt seemed to help :( Thanks for any input!

@eli77722

Please closely read post 32 above. And please also read the responses afterward that clarify questions.

I think you need to get some Duramycin, and also treat externally with the soaks and clear - clear - clear iodine.
Hi . My pekin duck has bumble foot .I see where you say to use the Duramycin. Ifound the liquid one at farm store here but how much do I give and how often . Or do I just apply it to the wound .Thanks everyone for ant help .New to this

Hi . My pekin duck has bumble foot .I see where you say to use the Duramycin. Ifound the liquid one at farm store here but how much do I give and how often . Or do I just apply it to the wound .Thanks everyone for ant help .New to this
Welcome to BYC! Which liquid did you find?

Hey duck lovers,
Treating bumblefoot is very time consuming but it can be beat.
We dilute novalsan surgical scrub, and soak for 20 min., then rinse in clean water.
You can use triple neosporin ointment, vetrecin, or SSD cream.

Wrapping a duck foot is not an easy task. Here is what we do.
Wrap your duck like a hotdog in a towel.
Cut thin cardboard, like that in a cereal box, to the shape of a flat duck foot.
Place square gauze pads, 2, on to the cardboard cut out, tape the pads on to the cutout.
Make one of these for the bottom of the foot and one for the top.
Place whatever medication you are using on the wound and sandwich the foot between the cardboard cutouts.
Careful not to wrap the dewclaw, hold the cutouts together using rolled gauze.
Now cover with vet wrap, and tape with waterproof medical tape.
Watch that dewclaw they need it free to balance.
This stays on well and keeps the foot flat so the duck can continue to use it.
Keep your duck in a dry area till healed, change your bandage daily.
If you are giving oral antibiotics think about adding probiotics to their drinking water.
Also remember,,,during treatment with any oral or injectable medication,,DO NOT EAT THEIR EGGS. Some medication have a lingering effect so ask your vet how long you must wait after the last dose before you can eat the eggs.
Be persistent, BEAT THAT BUMBLEFOOT!!

Hey duck lovers,
Treating bumblefoot is very time consuming but it can be beat.
We dilute novalsan surgical scrub, and soak for 20 min., then rinse in clean water.
You can use triple neosporin ointment, vetrecin, or SSD cream.

Wrapping a duck foot is not an easy task. Here is what we do.
Wrap your duck like a hotdog in a towel.
Cut thin cardboard, like that in a cereal box, to the shape of a flat duck foot.
Place square gauze pads, 2, on to the cardboard cut out, tape the pads on to the cutout.
Make one of these for the bottom of the foot and one for the top.
Place whatever medication you are using on the wound and sandwich the foot between the cardboard cutouts.
Careful not to wrap the dewclaw, hold the cutouts together using rolled gauze.
Now cover with vet wrap, and tape with waterproof medical tape.
Watch that dewclaw they need it free to balance.
This stays on well and keeps the foot flat so the duck can continue to use it.
Keep your duck in a dry area till healed, change your bandage daily.
If you are giving oral antibiotics think about adding probiotics to their drinking water.
Also remember,,,during treatment with any oral or injectable medication,,DO NOT EAT THEIR EGGS. Some medication have a lingering effect so ask your vet how long you must wait after the last dose before you can eat the eggs.
Be persistent, BEAT THAT BUMBLEFOOT!!
Welcome to BYC!

I realize this post is old but hope this helps!
My Pekin duck has a severe case of bumblefoot and I was hopeless as it had traveled up her leg.
I did not have time to wait for tricide-neo to arrive in the mail so I got what is called Melafix from the local walmart. It is used to treat infection in fish. I assume it's similar to tricide-neo.
I soaked my ducks foot in this solution diluted with my own version of antibacterial components including raw apple cider vinegar and a few drops of tea tree oil.
She enjoyed the warm bath And her bumble foot scabs released easily after 15 minutes. This is far faster of a soak than I had done before with scab removal success.
I squeezed a little but she hollered so I gave up and packed the scab less wounds with antibiotic ointment that is designed for dogs and put gauze and then vet wrap on her.
She is quarantined to a dog crate for now.
I couldn't believe how quickly the scabs came loose and exposed the infection. Although I could not release any "kernels"
I highly recommend this melaffix solution to anyone needing bumble foot care right away.
I didn't dig into her feet but rather packed the exposed pink flesh and holes with antibiotic cream, wrapped and put her in a crate. Poor girl is unable to walk due to the severity of the infection but it is by far the most progress I've made in treating this so far.
I plan to soak her feet again first thing in the morning and repeat until the infection is easy to lift on my own.
Melafiix seemed to make a difference in the foot soak, which I've done before with only Epsom salts.
I will try to keep this post updated with her progress.
She has unfortunately lost a lot of weight and can only be hand fed and watered but I feel way more hopeful after using the Melafix than I was with just Epsom salts.
I spent over $100 at the vet months ago with her same issue. The infection was so deep it was never removed but improved with time allowing her to walk. It came back quickly and invaded her leg. I believe the key is getting the infection out but I don't have any numbing tools or meds and I don't want to dig too hard and chaise more pain.
I'm hopeful with this Melafix soak and although I added my own home remedies I believe it was most successful so far.
She is near the condition of putting her "down" but I am determined to try anything first.
For anyone needing antibacterial solution ASAP, try melafix if it's easier to get than tricide neo.
Good luck!
Thx. API MELAFIX Freshwater Fish Bacterial Infection Remedy 16-Ounce Bottle https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0002567T6/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_i_HBK4Q493Z5VK9RFJECP2

Back
Top Bottom