Need MORE help with a chick that has an unabsorbed yolk- new problem

Freckleluck

In the Brooder
7 Years
Jun 13, 2012
Our hen killed three chicks upon hatching, so we took the remaining six eggs away from her. One was cracked but I wasn't sure why, so I made a small hole in it to see. There was a chick. I did the float test with the other six and five are alive, one is a dud. We have no incubator and weren't prepared for this so we have them in a box with a 60-watt bulb and damp towels. The temp is at 95 degrees F but I'm sure it isn't humid enough. I made a larger hole a few hours later so there was a small hole free of membrane, which was beginning to dry. After 30 hours of the chick making no progress and the membrane drying, I decided to zip the shell because I didn't want the chick to become shrink-wrapped. After another three hours and the membrane hardening, I took the end-cap of shell off and allowed it to hatch on its own the rest of the way. Unfortunately, the yolk sac didn't absorb, and there are some red veins on the inside of the shell. It hasn't stood but would like to. It is in a separate box but the temperature hasn't stabilized yet. Should I try to keep it alive? Is there anything I can do to improve its chance of survival?

Last edited:
Everything sounds normal. There should be veins in the shell, and it looks like it has absorbed most of it. It is normal for a chick to be clumsy when first hatched. Once she is dry she will try to stand more and before you know it she will be running around. Don't worry, I have had chicks with yolk sacs barely absorbed and they are fine. She is a cutie!
love.gif

Put her back under the light and let her warm up. If you ever get one with a large yolk sac, place her back in the egg. This will help to make sure the yolk will not dry up.

Thanks for the advice. What should I do about the navel? It's open and bloody. The chick also isn't drying as quickly as I'd like and I'm afraid its feathers will dry hard. Is there anything I can do to help with that?

Last edited:
Oh- the string is still attaching the navel to the egg. Should I cut and tie it? Should I wash the chick's belly or put antibiotic on it?

Put some neosporin or an ointment of that sort on it. It will help it heal and keep it from bleeding. The chick will dry with the egg, the vein or navel will dry and it will disconnect. You could cut it if it does not fall of in a little while. You could also lightly blow dry her on low and not heated. This will just help speed up the process a little. But do not do it for too long because it may be a little stressful for the chick.

Last edited:
Update- The chick is getting fluffier and the gunk/chord are drying, but the chick still hasn't stood, though it peeps and sometimes moves/struggles. It responds to our voices and can open both its eyes.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom