Need opinions - run size?

citykitty

Songster
Apr 4, 2018
Cleveland, OH
Need quick opinions...going to have six hens (GB and RIR), maybe a couple Bantam down the road. Is a 6’6” x 7’6” x 6’3” run size ok? I don't have a ton of room but I want happy girls. Free ranging will be limited, but I might be able to increase the run size later. They will have room to roost up in the run as well. Thoughts?

No. You need a minimum of 4 s.f. in the coop and 10 s.f. in the run per bird. You also need 1 s.f. of ventilation in the coop per bird. I recommend a walk in style since you live in a cold climate. The short little coops do not have enough CUBIC feet to allow enough air movement to prevent frost bite in the winter. It sounds like you are buying a pre fab. I strongly advise against that. They are poorly designed, built of weak materials, do not meet the needs of the flock or the flock owner. They are also falsely advertised in terms of how many birds they can safely house. My suggestion: build your own, hire someone to build it, or buy a shed, and re-purpose that into a coop.

Thanks. A friend is moving and giving me his run, it's really nice (hand made). Maybe I'll use it for a winter run when the snow is hip deep and I need to move them closer to the house. The coop is plenty big, by the above standards I could have 10-12 full size birds.

Does this run have a solid roof?
Maybe I'll use it for a winter run when the snow is hip deep and I need to move them closer to the house. The coop is plenty big, by the above standards I could have 10-12 full size birds.
Will you have to move the coop too?
Definitely plan ahead for snow.

Does this run have a solid roof?

Will you have to move the coop too?
Definitely plan ahead for snow.

It has a tarp that is fitted for it, made out of a sail! It's very cool.

My coop has wheels, so I can move it. Same with the smaller coop. The bigger one will be fixed.

How many does your friend have or did he have? If he had six the it should work for you...And it’s mobile, and a bigger coop so the total space is a bit more...

Back
Top Bottom