Need pictures and ideas on BROODY HEN coop

coyotesmommy

Songster
8 Years
Jun 13, 2011
Hello, Broody Lovers, I need pictures or ideas on how to make my Broody Hens coop. I have read up on it but it is kind of confusing. THey need their own box / area somewhere close to the ground, dark and quite. My girl is in the hen house ( i only have 3 chickens) with the other 2. Here is a pic of the hen run and you see the coop, need suggestions and ideas

I just use a little dog house for my current broody.

31282_11-10-2011orpsand051.jpg

Is that in your big hen house? Or is it on the ground? If it is in the big house do how high is your big house off the ground?

I have some girls that want to be alone, and others, want a community nest.
You said you have 3, how well do they get along with each other?

Really well, they were the Three Amigo's but now Ling Ling is broody Willie and Phoebe run around the yard together. Willie was the top hen because I got Ling Ling and Phoebe later. Ling LIng is a Austrolurp and weighs about 10lbs she out ways Willie by a good 7lbs at least.

I built this in the spring for my broody gal. Of course she killed all of her chickens the moment they hatched but what can you do
roll.png
After the massacre, I used it as an outdoor brooder for 3 chicks and then as a sick ward. It was well worth the effort!
DSCF2059-1.jpg

DSCF2071-1.jpg

DSCF2063-1.jpg

DSCF2061-1.jpg

DSCF2068-1.jpg

DSCF2065-1.jpg

DSCF2228-3.jpg

Quote:
o wow that is great!!! thanks for the ideas..... that is great!!! great looking hutch! wow thanks

Quote:
now thats a nice broody cage. plus it has multiple uses. i just put a broody hen in a empty chicken tractor. she didnt like it at first but she finally got in the box and sat on the eggs i gave her. will se at first lite if she will stay sitting.

Quote:
yes yes I thought of that I want to use KRCOTE's removable lid and nice looking little run with a red neck flare, I have a styro foam cooler for insulation and a rubbermaid tote I thought about putting over it. thank you....keep the great ideas coming
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom