Need piglet advice

Punkstermom

In the Brooder
5 Years
Apr 10, 2014
Iowa
Ok so we are NEW to having pigs. I'm sure we will get it all figured out here eventually. But anyhow we are getting free reject piglets from a local confinement. They all have something wrong with them. Maybe an abscess or a castration hernia or something. Anyhow my main question today is I haven't been able to get them to eat for 2 days now! They are drinking fine but won't eat. They are on Hubbard lean 2 compleat pellets ( for their weight range) it has an added milk powder for pallet ability so they eat more but they aren't . I added cracked corn but still nothing. I added some fresh berries but nothing either. They are weaned so idk what's going on. They act fine and run around and play and are fine otherwise but aren't touching their food????? I am going to try adding molasses powder to it today to see if they will eat. I have held them to try getting them to try it but they of course just squeal their little heads off. Any suggestions? FYI they are between 8-15 pound Yorks.
:barnie

Last edited:
Ask the place where you got them what they were eating prior to leaving.
If they were taken off momma to your farm, there will be several days that they don't eat I believe.
You can also try soaking their grains in water to make it easier to eat for them.

I'd wander on over to Backyardherds (link at bottom of page). They have a full pig/piglet section and lots of helpful folks who could give you advice.

Good luck!

So added molasses powder but still they are sleeping most of the day, drinking but ignoring the food. Today is day 3. Also joined backyard herds but everything says I don't have permission to posy, reply or anything...? Don't know what I'm doing wrong there.... Anyhow I even took the smallest one and stuck a bit of molasses powder in his mouth so he could taste it. He didn't object but didn't go for it when I held a handful out to him. They are all doing that??? They got me stumped! I wouldn't think they would lay there and starve when they have a delicious bowl of feed sitting right there ....right? I mean eventually they will get hungry enough to eat? I didn't get them straight from the confinement . A guy saves em from being gassed and brings em. I can ask him next I time he's over. But he's just a worker. Might see him this next week again with more piglets but just wish they would start eating!

Try feeding them milk. Not dry milk; liquid milk. You can also mix milk with their feed and make a gruel out of it. I'll bet they will eat that.

Back
Top Bottom