Need pointers for raising turkeys

Densunes

Hatching
Dec 13, 2017
My small morning school just bought 2 breeding turkeys and I was wondering what are the best things we can do to keep them happy.

We have about 8 acres of land and greenhouses to grow food, since it's winter and we get heavy snow they have to be inside a large pen where they can move freely. We're going to grow lemon balm and clovers for treats and I'm going to convince my teacher to grow their food too. We know pretty much all the basics of turkey raising.

Is there anything else we should know about to help keep them healthy and happy? Experts advice?

My small morning school just bought 2 breeding turkeys and I was wondering what are the best things we can do to keep them happy.

We have about 8 acres of land and greenhouses to grow food, since it's winter and we get heavy snow they have to be inside a large pen where they can move freely. We're going to grow lemon balm and clovers for treats and I'm going to convince my teacher to grow their food too. We know pretty much all the basics of turkey raising.

Is there anything else we should know about to help keep them healthy and happy? Experts advice?
:welcome
Get more hen turkeys. Turkeys do not do well as breeding pairs. I try to keep at least 4 to 5 hens for one tom. One tom can wear out and even kill a single hen. When the hen goes broody it is best to separate the tom from her since he will take her sitting on the nest as an invitation to breed. These unwanted breeding attempts can lead to smashed eggs and an injured or even dead turkey hen.

Thanks for the advice! Currently they are uninterested to breed due to the cold and all. I'll tell my teacher tomorrow about it, we should be able to afford at least 2 more
The tom should start displaying in earnest in February followed soon by breeding with eggs starting in March if you are in the northern United States.

They're currently inside until the snow stops for the year, so if the male somehow gets spring vibes from the warmth we are able to separate him. I informed my teacher about the multiple hens and how we have to separate the brooders and poults from the male. Thanks for the help!

They're currently inside until the snow stops for the year, so if the male somehow gets spring vibes from the warmth we are able to separate him. I informed my teacher about the multiple hens and how we have to separate the brooders and poults from the male. Thanks for the help!
Turkeys do fine in the cold and the snow. Mine roost outside in all kinds of weather including down to -30°F. Their roosts are in an area protected from the wind but open to all of the elements.

If you are keeping them inside, they really do better if they get sunshine. They are not meant to be kept in the dark. I would allow them the ability to get out in the open every day even if it is just access to a fenced run.

Hi and welcome to BYC :frow We're so happy you've decided to join us:ya

What types of turkeys do you have and how old are they? It's important that they have a balanced feed for breeding and to support growth and development. I raise heritage breeds and am trying to follow the Sustainable Poultry Network's approach to feed, so I'll be changing breeding bird's feed the first of February.

Some good advice in this thread. I would agree that multiple hens is a must for happiness and even safety of the hen. I also agree that they can tolerate weather extremely well. Mine basically never go inside the barn even though was low 20s last week. Do you know the age of the birds?

So turkeys just run around loose once mature? I was trying to figure out how big a coop would be needed. The minimum from the hatchery is 15 poults. So the thing to do would be grow them out and eat excess toms until you had a good ratio. We do have wild turkeys here, i wonder if that would be an issue?

So turkeys just run around loose once mature? I was trying to figure out how big a coop would be needed. The minimum from the hatchery is 15 poults. So the thing to do would be grow them out and eat excess toms until you had a good ratio. We do have wild turkeys here, i wonder if that would be an issue?
Some people have coops for their turkeys and others have open sided sheds and some just provide a shelter from the wind. Some provide roosts and shaded areas and some just let their turkeys roost in their trees.

For a coop, I recommend a minimum of 10 sq. ft. per turkey. I have a roosting area that is protected from the prevailing wind but is in their run which is 50'x100'. During the daytime my turkeys have access to the coop and free range on a fenced 2 acre area.

Wild turkeys can be an issue for a number of reasons. They can transmit disease to domestic turkeys. They have been known to lure domestic turkeys away from their homes. Wild toms have been known to have fights with domestic toms. And of course they have been known to freeload on your poultry feed.

Back
Top Bottom