Need secure gate advice........

terry's chicks

In the Brooder
8 Years
Feb 15, 2011
4Finished the coop, unless a bear comes along I think it's safe, the run is almost done, it's 2"x 4" wire (heavy horse) fencing then covered the bottom with 1/2" hardware cloth, and so on, but I'm afraid a gate will make it easy for predators to get through? Now sure how to build that? Help

If it is built/hinged/latched strongly and tightly, there is no reason for it to be weaker than the rest of the fence. Of course if it's NOT then there ya go
wink.png
If you are doing an apron for digproofing but don't want that underfoot at the gate, you can use very large pavers (at least 18x24", and FIRMLY AND TIGHTLY set) instead, they are good for walking on when you go thru the gate

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

I put an apron of wire under the door to the run going out three feet and covered it with mulch. As for the door/gate I built a 2x4 frame to fit the opening with a crossbar two feet from the bottom and reinforced the corners with angled wood braces so it wouldn't wrack out of square and then covered that with the same combination of wire as the rest of the run......hardware cloth on the bottom two feet and welded wire on the top four feet. The door/gate is the same height as the run. I have a slide bolt latch on it with a spring clip to lock it. So far no break ins or digging in. The only trouble I've had is dealing with closing it in heavy snow but I think that would be true no matter what. Snow tends to get stuck under it and make it hard to close so I had to shovel out that area thoroughly during our snowy winter to prevent that. Good luck with your build.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom