Need SERIOUSE lock down help please

Autumnfae611

In the Brooder
Mar 30, 2016
Using a still air styrofoam bator. Last hatch went perfect. 12 of 14 hatched. 12 in now and all candled right on target so we locked down on Saturday. Took the eggs out of the turner. Put a paper towel down. Humidity is going hay wire. Will drop to 40 and then go back up to 90 when i add water through one of the vents. Set to hatch Tuesday so I dont want to open to add water. Not sure what to do. Any advice would be appreciated.

Did the same thing happen on the last batch? I would try to add less water more often and see if this helps. Humidity going up and down can cause the eggs to not hatch. not really an expert just knowledge from what I have read. I have only had a couple of hatches myself.

If you have no pips then you can open up to add water. I would top off all your wells now and see if it levels out. Do you have a separate, calibrated hygrometer in there??

Yes i do. And up until lockdown it stayed at a level 55%. The only way to fill the wells would be to open the lid *sigh*

Yes i do. And up until lockdown it stayed at a level 55%. The only way to fill the wells would be to open the lid *sigh*

I know it seems scary to open the lid after lockdown but you can, especially since the eggs haven't pipped yet. I open during lockdown at least twice a day to top off the water wells (and candle) prior to external pips (and I have great hatches). I have the octagon 20 Eco and humidity is terrible at lockdown. I need as much water in there as I can get. Now would be a good chance before they pip. Can you lay a paper towel down over the wells to act as a wick?

I will give it a try. I have never had this issue and have hatched so many times. I have been frequently adding warder via medicine syringe through one of the air holes and so far that has been working. Tomorrow is supposed to be hatch day so I will just have to keep a close on eye on things!!! This is more stressful than giving birth lol

I took out the wet washcloth and added a jelly jar of water and resoaked the sponge. Humidity went up to 78% for 1/2 hr but now it is back down to 44 again WTH? This BTW is the same humidity level as the house (which is currently 55F) as read by the same hydrometer in the same room as the incubator

The background humidity does have an effect, but what you are seeing is just coincidence. The difference in heat in the incubator will give you a different humidity reading. But yes, I’ve seen over a 20% difference inside the incubator just based on the outside humidity in the room.

In that type of incubator humidity is controlled by wet surface area. What I think might be happening is that when you add water you get a lot of surface area wet so the humidity jumps way up. Then when that extra area dries out the humidity plummets. That happens to me when I spill water somewhere I don’t intend when filling the reservoirs. When the spilled water dries up the humidity goes back where it is supposed to be.

well my batch is in lock down so I am looking for 60+% and I just cannot get and keep it. I have more things containing/holding water in the incubator space wise than I have eggs at this point

The other batch with the Hovabator is holding at 60% with just water in the wells

Back
Top Bottom