Need some advice, please! *Update- Minor set back*

bt03

Songster
8 Years
Mar 1, 2011
Over the rainbow...
We had 8 rouen/khaki mixes hatch October 26h and had some issues with daddy and some issues with mamma. Most recently, daddy broke in to the grow out pen and before we caught him he had completely ripped the fuzz off of one of the babies heads and was on top of another trying to mate. They all scattered so the only one I could visible see was hurt was Fuzzy (or lack there of). Daddy is now in the back yard in a horse stall with no chance of parole till feathers are grown out and babies are big enough to defend themselves.

Mamma had left with daddy when the ducklings were about a week old and by the time they were 2 weeks she started laying again. One egg a day consistently until daddy was put in lock down. once he was put in lock down she stopped laying eggs and is no being mom. Is this normal? If we do happen to let he hatch out more and take daddy completely out of sight will she be the mom she is supposed to be? The most I have ever taken care of was 4 ducklings so 8 was a real challenge I don't want to have to try again (my spare tub isn't that big).

Second thing is, my ducklings have been on a supplement every other week since birth to make sure they are getting enough niacin. One of the ducklings seems to have a leg problem. I can't see any swelling, swimming is a breeze, but walking and standing are difficult. When he does stand, he tucks his tail down and kind of limps along for a couple of feet before it's time to rest again. I looked and can't see or feel any kind of swelling, out of place joints, cuts, nothing in the feet, no kind of malady at all really. I'm not 100% on what to do here. More supplements for just him? That would mean separating him for a while right? If he needed more supplements should I share with everyone or would that overdose him? We have no avian vets in my area and the vet that I do have for my other pets tells me that she would just be guessing if I took any of my birds in. Should I bring him and a buddy in for a few days of relaxation and fun in the tub as therapy?

Last edited:
I like the tub idea.

Some apple cider vinegar in water (search the Forum archives for some good discussions) might also help.

Could the duckling have been injured? I put comfrey salve on mild injuries - it's supposed to help the healing.

I'd go with frequent warm baths with a buddy and see how it goes.

edited to correct spelling of comfrey - I really need to remember to wear my glasses . . . .

Last edited:
Will do Amiga! Baths and Apple Cider vinegar are on the agenda now. I always know I can count on you for good ideas and advice to help
smile.png

I have no idea if he could have been injured as I can't see anything at all physically wrong with any part of the leg or foot. That is what makes it so hard. If I can see it I can treat it but not seeing is killing me because I don't know where or how to help.

Well the tub was of no help and she seems to have lost almost, if not all control of her legs. When you lift her up she will only flex her toes but not move her legs at all. She did enjoy sitting in the warm tub and being out of the cold mist that has settled on the area for the last few days. The extra niacin has seemed to do nothing for her. We may try the Save-A-Chick that Tractor Supply sells but I'm thinking that if the straight niacin in the water hasn't helped that nothing will.

She will still live a full life with us weather she has use of her legs or not because I am a sucker for the under dog. Lucky little thing was moved to a nice warm cozy room in the house but when she got lonely after her buddy went back outside she was set up in he warm cozy coop to watch everyone move and talk.

How hard will it be on her to be a disabled duck? Moving her and helping her do everything will she still be like the other ducks or will they begin to pick at her? Would it be better to get pampers and start training her as an indoor duck? Can she life a full life without use of either of her legs?

Any help at all would be great here
smile.png
Thanks everyone!

It's so difficult to be sure with a duck . . .

Botulism can cause loss of motor ability - but is often fatal with a day or so, if I recall correctly. Pinched nerves and spinal damage can cause problems with specific, if sometimes larger, areas of the body. If only we could understand what they say (Dr. Doolittle, paging Dr. Doolittle).

With unlimited resources, you could have blood tests, xrays, mri's . . . . but just going with symptoms I'd consider antibiotics in case it's an infection (I am not one to recommend these lightly - they cause their own problems), keep up with baths, loving attention, ACV and vitamins/electrolytes/probiotics.

Special needs ducks can relatively thrive in the right environment. Something like a bean bag chair might help, or a sling (I'm thinking of the swings my friends' kids have had. Rather than a diaper, an open back for poop and a pad underneath to catch it for the sling setup.

A stuffed toy, a mirror, and a place where household humans can interact regularly, but where household predators are blocked.

Such a duck might have a "second career" as an ambassador duck, occasionally visiting schools or libraries where she can look lovely and regal while her human explains the importance of good duck stewardship, and answers all those basic questions many are so embarassed to ask (where does the egg come out?)

Amiga, you always make me feel so much better when I have duck troubles!
bow.gif
bow.gif
bow.gif

We have no household predators but I would have to find a way to keep our dog away from duckling's behind and poop pad
sickbyc.gif
And after you said swing I now have a million ideas about something small and compact enough for us to move around the house that won't take up to much space and won't block to much of her view. I think my husband's sister even has a very short out of order baby swing that we could modify for the duckling (it really needs a name now).

If we even had an avian vet in the area I would be the first in line with duckling but our vet is a good lady and doesn't want us to waste time or money trying to take her in when she wouldn't even know how to begin to treat it. I can look and try some antibiotics but I've never had to use them before and am a bit apprehensive. I suppose nerve damage could be a possibility, since daddy did break in and I don't know how many of them he tortured before he was busted and locked away in a different area of our "farm". With the toes flexing but the legs not moving that may be nerve damage right?

And it's funny you said ambassador duck. My daughter was asking me yesterday if she could take a chicken to science class so they could talk about egg production and food cycles.

Do you have Storey's Guide to Raising Ducks? That has some recommendations for which antibiotics to use for which conditions.

There are some helpful topics here on the BYC forums about choosing an antibiotic and administering it, so see if something rings true for you. Perhaps your vet could give you an educated guess about the likelihood of an infection having that effect on a bird. Sometimes we can extrapolate, sometimes not so much. I'm thinking along the lines of infections that affect nerves, like herpes in humans (has been thought to perhaps cause Bell's Palsy) and Lyme Disease that very much affects the nervous system in people and some animals.

Glad your daughter wants to share the live and in-person joys of poultry. I remember my first grade teacher bringing in one of her chickens. It was an intense experience, made more so by the deposit the chicken placed right there on the classroom floor in front of all of us! It's decades later and I still remember that chicken.

Keep lovin' that duck!

hugs.gif

Speaking of ducks, what ARE those runners up to now? Gotta go!

Good news! We made her a sling to sit in so she isn't on the ground on her poor little legs all the time and she loves it! The better part of that is that she has started swinging her legs trying to get places so we know that her legs are on the slow road to better. We started her on an antibiotic but are giving her a bit of yogurt to hep try to balance out the bacteria in her belly. We noticed the hind toes on both feet look kind of swollen compared to the other ducklings so I think we may have found a cause for all of this mess. We cleaned the area with peroxide a first to make sure there was no dirt or germs from her sitting on them and the poop that gathered under her. Now we are putting neosporin on it (no pain reliever) and hoping that will also help to draw out any infection that may be lingering and keeping her from walking. I'm really hoping it was just a case of bumble that went haywire because that I can research and treat.

I know it will be a long slow road but she does love her warm bath at night and it helps to keep her off of her poor legs and both me and my daughter are having a great time sitting with her on our lap after bath time. I think she may even have a new best friend, I noticed Cooper cat licking her and freaked out until I saw he was cleaning himself and her at the same time and duckling seemed to be preening him also. Just for safety and my piece of mind that will only happen when I am home to supervise, otherwise poor Cooper will have to clean duckling through glass to the sun room where she lives during the day. The strange things that happen at my house
hu.gif

Back
Top Bottom