Need some clarification about ducks (first time)

How about putting him in one of those mesh playpens for kids. He is old enough not to need a heat lamp so I would think it would be perfect for indoors and easy to clean up. Plus he'd be able to see everything around him.

Often times in the US you can get them at a yard sale or on Crag's list for $0! It would give him more room to move around yet still be contained and safe. I think I would use some old towels or puppy pads for him to poop on.

You could even hang some lettuce or cabbage on a string stretched across the top of the pen for him to play with during the day. He'll be scared of it at first but eventually will like it quite a bit.

How about putting him in one of those mesh playpens for kids. He is old enough not to need a heat lamp so I would think it would be perfect for indoors and easy to clean up. Plus he'd be able to see everything around him.

Often times in the US you can get them at a yard sale or on Crag's list for $0! It would give him more room to move around yet still be contained and safe. I think I would use some old towels or puppy pads for him to poop on.

You could even hang some lettuce or cabbage on a string stretched across the top of the pen for him to play with during the day. He'll be scared of it at first but eventually will like it quite a bit.
I still use puppy pads when heā€™s out of the box. Heā€™d always peck at it and swing it when bored. And often got scared after that šŸ˜‚
What i dislike is that he would always eat his own poop. And swing it around getting it everywhere šŸ˜…

He has feed and water to eat an drink all the time or do you have set times you feed him? Def replace the shavings with towels or peas pads.
When heā€™s out, i give water & feed every 30 mins now. When he is in the box, he has access to it all the time including night

I still use puppy pads when heā€™s out of the box. Heā€™d always peck at it and swing it when bored. And often got scared after that šŸ˜‚
What i dislike is that he would always eat his own poop. And swing it around getting it everywhere šŸ˜…
That's funny because that's what my border collie puppy did when she was little. She wouldn't leave the pads alone and just tore them all up. I should have known then that there was going to be trouble! I still can't let that dog in the run with my ducks because all she wants to do is eat their poop! šŸ¤® She's good with the ducks though and would not hurt them.

I didn't have that problem with my ducklings doing that though! I put the pads on top of pine shavings for a softer bed and kind of tucked them in along the edges but your little one is so big now that I'm sure he will figure out how to undo that!

Is he always going to be an inside duck? Maybe you ought to think about an outside coop and play area for him? You are in the Philippines so I'm thinking the weather is pretty warm?

I have seen my ducks taste a piece of poop before and go ewww. But never have seen one actually eat any. I think if at all possible a buddy would be a good idea for him. Unless heā€™s going to always be a house duck. I can understand not wanting 2 poop machines inside.

That's funny because that's what my border collie puppy did when she was little. She wouldn't leave the pads alone and just tore them all up. I should have known then that there was going to be trouble! I still can't let that dog in the run with my ducks because all she wants to do is eat their poop! šŸ¤® She's good with the ducks though and would not hurt them.

I didn't have that problem with my ducklings doing that though! I put the pads on top of pine shavings for a softer bed and kind of tucked them in along the edges but your little one is so big now that I'm sure he will figure out how to undo that!

Is he always going to be an inside duck? Maybe you ought to think about an outside coop and play area for him? You are in the Philippines so I'm thinking the weather is pretty warm?
Hi there šŸ˜„ , i would love to bring him out in a park with lake, itā€™s safe but im not sure if he would be scared and run off šŸ˜‚
Im from Malaysia so the weather here is always warm all year 34degree celcius. Thanks for reading my post šŸ„°

I have seen my ducks taste a piece of poop before and go ewww. But never have seen one actually eat any. I think if at all possible a buddy would be a good idea for him. Unless heā€™s going to always be a house duck. I can understand not wanting 2 poop machines inside.
He actually finishes the poop quite many times while i was preparing the lettuce and bath time. I want him to be a house duck but Iā€™ll bring him out to a park every few days and then, when heā€™s abit older and not afraidšŸ˜…

Back
Top Bottom