Need some help. New to chickens

deadeye531

In the Brooder
10 Years
Sep 12, 2009
Chattanooga, TN
Hey guys Im new to chickens and right now just looking and searching. I have always just raised quail but looking to add some new birds to it all. I really like to hatch my own eggs rather than buy started chicks and just have more fun doing so. What hatcheries does everyone recommend or would it be better to go through the auctions here or another site? What Im looking for is good egg production as well as meat. So far I think I have narrowed my search and wants down to Buff Ophingtons and Barred Rocks. Does anyone here get fertile eggs from these breeds also? Any other help is greatly appreciated.

Both are nice birds, if you want to hatch your own all-natural, Buffs are the broodiest of the 2. Both are good choices!
welcome-byc.gif

I agree with Birdaholic. Of those two breeds, I only have BRs and mine have NO interest in being broody. I love my barred rocks and would like to keep the breed around for egg production (they'd be good for meat too), but you'd be better off with an incubator than hoping for a broody barred rock! My barred's are very friendly and outgoing. They are also very assertive! (they rule to dogs here at our place...and our dogs aren't small!!).

edited to add...if you are wanting to hatch your own, I'd recommend getting hatching eggs through a breeder. That way you can ensure they are breed quality. Some hatcheries have skinnier birds that aren't necessarily true to the breed since they are breeding for production quality, not staying true to the breed. (I have hatchery birds, which are great! But, they are definitely smaller girth wise than the breeder stock I have seen!).

Last edited:
When you say a breeder do you mean someone from here or what? I do have incubators as quail are not broody either and I usually set 30-40 quail eggs a week during the laying season.

I like the Buff Orpingtons a lot, but I always go back to good old Rhode Island Reds.

Someone on another thread REALLY likes the Gold Comet hybrids, so I am trying a few of them, and I like to have a few EE's, and Marans, and Welsummers for the different colors,

BUT

I truly think that for a good all around chicken for eggs and meat (although I seldom eat them) you cannot beat RIR's!
big_smile.png

Catherine

Back
Top Bottom