Need some help with genetics.Silver genetics.

Georgia Boy 1970

Songster
9 Years
Feb 3, 2010
Northeast Ga. Banks County
This is not my pic nor is it my bird.Found it on the internet. This inquiry is out of curiosity. According to the website this pic is what a rhode island red with 2 doses of the silver.I know that would come about by crossbreeding but how would you get 2 doses of silver.Really interested in genetics but don't know the lingo.Thank you in advance for your replies.

I'm pretty sure the bird is mislabeled. Silver more or less eliminates the red pigment. It is a sex linked trait. As such, it can be on both the sex chromosomes of the male, but only one chromosome of the female. (Most birds being the opposite of mammals in this regard) Red sexlinks are made by breeding a red or gold male to silver females, resulting in red females,and single dose silver males. To get a double dose of silver in a rooster, both of his parents would have to have the gene. If mom is silver and dad is only single dose then half of the rooster chicks will be double dose. Half of the hens would have the trait the other half would be gold or red. There are more qualified genetics experts on the forum. Maybe Nicalandia or Henk 69 could say what's going on with the rooster in the picture. I'd say it involves Dominant White not Silver. Google the Chicken calculator; it can help figure things out.

I think I found the website with the picture. I don't think there is much agreement that the Ap gene is real. All I know is when my rhode island red bred my silver laced wyandottes the roosters were silver coumbian with a slight yellow tint.

Back
Top Bottom