Need Some Help With My Ducks

M Kelley

In the Brooder
5 Years
May 20, 2014
Massachusetts
I am new to BYC and a new duck owner. I have 4 peking ducks they are about 3 1/2 weeks old and they are all panting, they are still inside and I have shut the heat lamp off the temperature in the room is about 70 degrees, they eat, drink and swim and seem to act normal, should I be concerned?

Also, we hold them and interact with them all the time but every time anyone approaches the brooder and puts their hand in to touch them or hold them they run away to one corner. Is this normal? I want to make sure they are friendly and want to be touched and pet when they are adults. Please Help!!!

Yes, it can be normal. Just be patient, offer treats (once they have had some chick grit or similar), spend time near them.

Anything coming at them from above will become more and more threatening to them, if they are like many ducklings. So try not to always come at them from on high. And making friendly noises before you come into view helps. I went through this with my runners.

About the panting; do they have a way to wash their heads frequently? Their nares can get clogged up. 70˚F is about right for that age, though some ducklings prefer it a little cooler.

This Sticky is pretty helpful
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/750869/raising-and-caring-for-ducklings#post_10611711

Back
Top Bottom