Need some opinions on nest boxes

SheaLoner

Crowing
Feb 27, 2020
Upstate Ny
I needed to rearrange how my coop was layed out. Switched from cross to lengthwise roosting bars, and pulled the old nest boxes. They birds kept roosting In the nest boxes. :barnie
So revamping how it lays out. I had planned to use milk crates with the front cut off and some form of roof to keep them out. But with the bars in this location it wouldn't fit.
20221001_161558.jpg 20221001_161616.jpg 20221001_161659.jpg
I am leaning towards these 5 gal buckets with the back cut out and a lip on the front. May still get someone sleeping in there, but it will be 1 bird not 5. 20221001_161746.jpg 20221001_161758.jpg
Anyone see another way? Leaving the milk crates on the floor makes them hard to access and easily soiled.

Shea you always gave nest boxes lower than roosts. They will sleep at whatever is higher. I think 5 gallons are fine but need to be lowered under roost. Maybe just set them on blocks just inside doors facing inwards. Could you cut sides out(like little doors) if they are attached under roosts? Just a thought.

Given the height of your coop, I think that is a great idea! I agree you do not want them on the ground.

My coop is 8' high so I have a nesting box that is 4 boxes wide and 3 high. My girls never use the boxes at the bottom level, which is fine by me.

With only one hen able to fit in a single bucket at a time I think it is less likely that any if them will want to sleep in it alone.

Ingenious idea you came up with!

This coop is 4' ft @ the peak with 2' sides. The only way I see to put them lower is to mount the buckets on the underside of the roosts? Would have to cut the top off the bucket and leave a cover/roof over it. Maybe the same piece cut off?

I have a few XL girls that cant make it onto the roosts anymore and they like to bed down in the corner there by the door.
The only feasible access for egg collection is the drop down triangular door. So however it gets rigged, egg collection has to happen from above reaching down.

I am going to suggest, running your roost kitty corner, or as the hypotenuse to the square. It does quite a few positive things. It moves your birds toward the center of the coop, away from the walls and under the higher point of the ceiling. Being too close to a wall or ceiling can cause moisture to collect on the bird in cold weather. The hypotenuse will be a longer roost, but if you need more roosting space a second one could be added, making a smaller triangle behind it. (I hope I am making myself clear?)

But it will also open up the corners, for your to put your nests in lower than the roosts, but not under the roosts.

Just an idea,

Mrs K

What are the dimensions of your coop in feet or meters and how many chickens do you have?

I'm afraid that the photos make the coop look very small in comparison to the 5-gallon bucket and I'm wondering if your problem is that you need to upgrade your facilities?

What are the dimensions of your coop in feet or meters and how many chickens do you have?

I'm afraid that the photos make the coop look very small in comparison to the 5-gallon bucket and I'm wondering if your problem is that you need to upgrade your facilities?
I am overstocked at the moment if they all slept in that coop. I have some 8 extras that were supposed to be for my SIL who has Not finished her coop yet. :hmm

I have an extra hoop house used for chicks that the rest sleep in at the moment. Winter flock reduction is happening soon.
Reguardless of how many or few birds used the coop, they Always slept in the nest boxes, piled ontop of each other.

I am going to suggest, running your roost kitty corner, or as the hypotenuse to the square. It does quite a few positive things. It moves your birds toward the center of the coop, away from the walls and under the higher point of the ceiling. Being too close to a wall or ceiling can cause moisture to collect on the bird in cold weather. The hypotenuse will be a longer roost, but if you need more roosting space a second one could be added, making a smaller triangle behind it. (I hope I am making myself clear?)

But it will also open up the corners, for your to put your nests in lower than the roosts, but not under the roosts.

Just an idea,

Mrs K
Kitty corner might work, open the corner back up for a milk crate. Will need to climb back in and see.
Will probably try an undermount 5 gal bucket first before I reconfigure the roosts Again.

I have some 8 extras that were supposed to be for my SIL who has Not finished her coop yet. :hmm

I understand that.

I'm selling off some birds that I was going to give to my BIL, who has paused his coop construction to replace his front deck after discovering that the previous owner just slapped a couple fresh boards down without replacing the rotten understructure.

Back
Top Bottom