Need some words of wisdom from some geese people!

JaciesCoop

Songster
12 Years
Aug 16, 2007
Arizona
Well here is the story and I'll try not to ramble. I'm in Central Arizona in the mountains. We've been down below 20 degrees in the mornings for about the last 2 weeks so our nights are very cold. Up in the 60's during the day.
Our house/small fenced yard/ barn with coop and runs attached/ cabin sit in the middle of our little over 1 acre. The land around the structures and small fenced yard is open and has a deep creek running through it. The neighbors whose fence line is about 45 feet behind our structures have all kinds of animals, horses, ducks, chickens, emus, llamas, goats, dogs, donkeys, and such and geese (about 12 of them).
Their oldest daughter came home and brought more including 2 geese. Well the flock has seemed to reject one of them.
The geese all come up the creek to our property at different times and wander around and forage but only during the day.
They never pen the geese and they are mostly left to their own to feed and shelter at night.
Last week this rejected goose(pics below) decided to come over and stay. She wondered around the back of the property during the day and seemed to go home at night (at least we didn't see her at night). She even attacked my leghorn roo when he was out one day (no permanent damage).
I told Tiny (my neighbor) about her and asked if I should do anything special. She said "no, she'll take care of herself or maybe you have a new goose!" LOL!
Well the last 3 days she has parked herself on our big gravel drive and parking area. She does still go to the creek and swim awhile but then she is right back.
I'm worried about her!! Another thing is that these birds have never been handled but she comes right up to me and lets me pet her and even pick her up!! Not fussy at all.
Tiny said it's just a "mood" and she will eventually come back home. Well I'm thinking I may have a goose!!! We have named her "Christmas" and she is even coming when we call her.
Should I be feeding her something? Should I set up some type of shelter? She stays right behind my car all the time, even at night.
Also what kind of goose is this and is there anyway to sex them for sure. I've just been calling her a her.
I'm gonna be a little disappointed if she goes home but I know she would be better off.
Anyway, I've rambled!! But any opinions would be appreciated and here are a couple of pictures of "Christmas"
Thanks for taking the time to read this!! I've not had any geese for over 40 years and have forgotten anything I ever knew about them and really welcome any help.
Jacie

goose2.jpg

goose1.jpg

I had a goose like that once. Raised it from a baby and it followed me around. Then it decided Daddy was the boss, and followed him instead. Daddy finally gave it away. It wouldn't let us kids, the farm dogs or farm cats, or even Mom walk up to Daddy! Worst pinch I ever got was from that goose.

Mine were plain old domesticated geese. They like to graze, but you could scatter a little cracked corn for it. Don't know how to tell the 'he's' from the 'she's', though...

Well I can't really tell you the sex from the picture but it is a farmyard toulouse goose. Very pretty, I have two of them myself. I find them generally friendly. Ours live in our fenced yard but they sleep out under the stars at night
smile.png
I guess if you build a shelter is up to you if you decide you want to make her a regular resident.

Quote:
Well I hate to get her used to a shelter if she does fine without one. As to her staying that's up to her. Her regular home is only about 100 yards from us.
I did throw some scratch out for her and she seemed to enjoy it.
The neighbor was just shocked that she let me handle her because none of the ones they have liked to be handled.

Oh and thanks for tell me the breed. I appreciate that and remember that's what we had many years ago! LOL!

ours do fine with out a shelter "per say" LOL but they do have a canopy to go under if they want to get out of the wind and rain. But they mostly like to be out in the rain.
roll.png
Ours forage alot...dabble in the mud...layer...scratch...and any vegetables and stuff we give them.

Ours do fine without shelter. Ages ago Dad and I made an elaborate winter shelter for them. They rejected it and we haven't made one since. They do have sheltered areas to go to, though. During the winter I feed my geese scratch feed, and they love it!

It sounds like she is imprinted or at least bonded, perhaps to someone who looks and sounds like you.

I personally would keep her. She is attached to you and really does need food and shelter. She can eat layer feed and supplement with grass, or vise versa.
She looks very nice.
Congrats!

Thanks for all the comments. I had to run errands tonight until after dark and when I got back she evidently had gone back down the creek to home which is only about 50 feet away. It will be interesting to see if she is back tomorrow.
I'll keep scratch out for her just in case she has decided she has 2 homes.
It's interesting what was said about imprinting. That is an intriguing concept.
Thanks again everyone.

Jacie

did you run errands in the car she sits by or a different one? i think she takes the car to be like a tree or bush, protection. it provides a shadow and she could run underneath it if necessary.

if you are into it, i would feed her. she might take a shelter you built, or she might not.

i think it's very sweet that she has chosen you. animals do that sometimes. you must be a good person.

I was about to say you had a female Pilgrim, but someone correctly pointed out there is no white on the face so it must be a Toulouse.

It is very strange for females to ever leave a flock. Generally, the males will jump flocks looking for a higher rank and a mate. So are you sure it's a female?

Geese do not do well alone if you have predators in the area, in which case I suggest locking him/her up at night. Even dogs can seriously wound a goose.

Geese will do fine on grass alone, although in the depths of winter the nutritional value is going to be low. It's fine to let her have the chicken feed, goat feed, pig feed, etc. They're not fussy. My geese always hang around near the pigs hoping to get a bit of spilled feed from them.

Anyhow, among our vast menagerie of farm animals and pets, our geese are by far and away our favorite animals to keep. They are endlessly entertaining, mischevious, amusing and downright commical at times (like when they steal your hand tools and you have to chase them around the yard trying to get it back). I suggest your next step would be finding a mate for the goose. Duos and trios are great to have around.

Back
Top Bottom