Need suggestions for quick integration of a hen in a free-ranging flock

Mayalys

Chirping
Jan 29, 2021
I will shortly have to integrate a laying Cochin bantam (probably around one year old) into my neighbor's flock of 6 full-size chickens (oldest is 8, youngest 2.5). It is unfortunately my across the road neighbor, and we do not share a fence. Both sets of chickens free-range during the day and go into a coop at night. The receiving coop is plenty big (it used to house 9 chickens without problems), and so is the yard. This bantam is a stray that self-integrated with my three elderly (full size) hens this Christmas break in a gradual manner, but two died and the last is now sick (3 year old Isa, so I think she's going soon -- I had to stop getting new hens due to health issues, not happy about that). The bantam is very submissive, and an extreme copy-cat; I have never seen a hen that needs a stable flock more. The problem is she is very skittish and shockingly fast, so we may be able to catch her once and never again. Also, the neighbor is not willing to have a protracted introduction because he believes that it is unnecessary. He feels that putting her in with his flock during the day and letting her fend for herself will work out, especially as she has experience integrating. I would really appreciate any ideas on how to make a quick integration in this situation that is likely to increase its chances of success.

Give the bird to someone else.
That was my first thought. Unfortunately, I just don’t know anybody else that doesn’t pack chickens like sardines, has a predator proof coop, and is also diligent about chicken care. It seemed a good idea to attempt to figure out if it is possible to work within these constraints.

The other hen was sick with reproductive issues, not contagious. Sadly, she’s now dead as expected, and we started the integration process. What we chose to do in the end was bring the bantam every morning to the neighbor’s on the other side of the road, and the neighbor got some of his chickens over for the bantam to see them going home. Today we got to the point that I can open the gate and walk the bantam across and back (she doesn’t seem to want to stay much). So still gradual exposure, but without having a fenced area. We’ll see how that goes.

Back
Top Bottom