Need suggestions!

thegavulichs

In the Brooder
Apr 19, 2017
Hey everyone! I just joined this group last week in hopes of someone helping me out. My first set of chickens was smooth sailing. I got my second group at the end of April. They will be 6 weeks on the 11th. Out of the 15 I got, one has always been wobbly. She is a black sex link. She’s thriving, eating, drinking, and pooping like the rest. I am going to attach a video of her just 3 days ago, and you can see how she wobbles.

This morning I went to check on them and my wobbly girl was laying on her side in the corner. I tried standing her up, and she wasn’t putting any pressure on her left leg.. so I gave her some feed out of my hand while holding her and some water through a syringe. I’m in the works of separating her from the others. While I was holding her, she took a poo that appeared to have some blood in it. Wasn’t sure if I should be alarmed or not (pic attached). I know chicken poo can look all sorts of ways.

Also, she started opening her beak, as if yawning or gasping for air. I know it’s opening once or twice is her adjusting her crop. She did it about 12 times. I wasn’t sure if it was her aspirating or not. She has stopped since. I will add a link to the video.

I just need some pointers and suggestions. I want to make her comfortable and happy...

Thank you in advance!

Attachments

• AA94DD89-9A5D-4725-A400-7C7C2D9D796F.jpeg
    AA94DD89-9A5D-4725-A400-7C7C2D9D796F.jpeg
    554.5 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
She probably has coccidiosis which you would treat with Corid from the farm supply store, equine section.

Definitely separate her to get a video but know if that's what you're dealing with you'll have to treat the whole flock (goes in their water). The good news is if that isn't the problem it won't hurt them to have it.

:hugs

From a quick Google result about coccidiosis:

Symptoms include:

• Droopiness.
  • Not eating.
  • Bloody stools (look like tar).
  • Flock huddling together.

She has been wobbly since she was a chick. She just won’t stand on her own. I was doing vitamins, and they helped, but quit because I was scared to do it long term. She only had that one stool that looked like the pic from above. She has since had another dropping and no blood. She is eating like a piggy, so no problems there.

I'm sorry she is not doing well :hugs

Can you take a stool sample to your vet for testing? Have them check for Coccidiosis and worms.

I would probably re-try the B-Complex and add some Vitamin E as well, just to see if she improves.
Sadly she has not really gotten over her wobbling completely has she? Since she was really wobbly as a chick (link to your first thread way back https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/wobbly-chick.1306445/ )
I would likely lean toward something neurological or genetic going on with her.
That first thread when she was so tiny, she was really too young for something like Marek's to present. The current video, if that was the first time I had ever seen her, I would lean toward Marek's. This worsening of symptoms could be Marek's, it's such a mysterious disease to begin with and frustrating.

I would check her crop to make sure it's emptying overnight. Give her 400IU of Vitamin E and 1/4 tablet of B-Complex for a week. Egg or tuna will be sufficient for Selenium.

I'm sorry she is not doing well :hugs

Can you take a stool sample to your vet for testing? Have them check for Coccidiosis and worms.

I would probably re-try the B-Complex and add some Vitamin E as well, just to see if she improves.
Sadly she has not really gotten over her wobbling completely has she? Since she was really wobbly as a chick (link to your first thread way back https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/wobbly-chick.1306445/ )
I would likely lean toward something neurological or genetic going on with her.
That first thread when she was so tiny, she was really too young for something like Marek's to present. The current video, if that was the first time I had ever seen her, I would lean toward Marek's. This worsening of symptoms could be Marek's, it's such a mysterious disease to begin with and frustrating.

I would check her crop to make sure it's emptying overnight. Give her 400IU of Vitamin E and 1/4 tablet of B-Complex for a week. Egg or tuna will be sufficient for Selenium.

I’m not sure my vet does anything with poultry or any vet in the area for that matter.

It just seems as she grows the worse it gets. She doesn’t put much weight on her left leg, so I’m not sure if it’s muscular or what not.

As far as Mareks goes, it’s not able to be treated, correct? And she will eventually pass away due to it?

Do I get the vitamin e at Walmart or is that something at the feed store? Liquid or pill?

I’m not sure my vet does anything with poultry or any vet in the area for that matter.

It just seems as she grows the worse it gets. She doesn’t put much weight on her left leg, so I’m not sure if it’s muscular or what not.

As far as Mareks goes, it’s not able to be treated, correct? And she will eventually pass away due to it?

Do I get the vitamin e at Walmart or is that something at the feed store? Liquid or pill?

Just Wal-Mart type, 400 IU dose, you can get Vit. B complex there, too. You add tuna or egg for the selenium necessary to process the Vit. E.

Back
Top Bottom