Need support and a kind word

leslie0815

Songster
13 Years
Jan 11, 2007
Georgia
I have always come to ya'll for all my poultry woes but this time it is about Oscar, my yellow lab. We have had him since he was 6 weeks old, he was a rescue, he is now almost 6 yrs. and last wednesday he was walking through the kitchen and he started limping on his back leg, before I could get to him he had lost all use of the lower half of his body. We took him to the vet the nest day and was told it was a slipped disc.....freak accident because he isn't a very active fella since we had him fixed. So we brought him home and he was put on steroids vet said give it 48 hours and see. We were holding on to hope and faith so we waited till Monday. We kept thinking we were seeing signs of improvement but now he just lays on a pad on the floor with no use from his mid section down.We know what is the right thing but it is so hard to do to a beloved pet. With dh disabled I had a young boy that helps me some come dig the hold for me to day under the pines where Oscar use to play, called the vet I told him I would bring him in on Sat morning to have him put to sleep. It is hard to look at him because he has so much life left in his eyes. Been giving him all his favorites ice cream,hotdogs and cheese, I think I am doing it to feed my conscious. I need someone to tell me it is the right thing
hit.gif
:hit. Please feel free to share your stories.suggestions......please say a prayer for Oscar and myself. Sorry to be so long winded but once I started I couldn't stop...had to get it out....
Thanks dear friends

Leslie

Have you considered an MRI and back surgery? I don't know if that's financially feasible for you and it should have been done when he first went down. If you can't do that then putting him down is the right thing.

Kind Word
Follow your heart. You are a good person. Life has moments like this to keep it in perspective. Best thoughts and wishes. Kindness and suport from the East Coast

Thanks ya'll, surgery isn't feasible dh just lost his leg a few months ago and finances aren't to good right now...

Last edited:
you have had him for 6 great years....thats better then 6 more years of pain and suffering for your beloved pet...

do what you think is right trust your heart
hugs.gif

You are in my prayers! I had to put my beloved Duke down in April of this year for the same reason.... he was 11 1/2 yrs old. He lost the use of his hind legs also. He had 11 tumors removed from his body 15 months before he died. I told the vet I did not care if he had cancer, the outcome would be the same, I would take Duke home until the end. I had him for 15 more months. He told me it was time. My heart still misses him. BUT he brought me much happiness (and tears when he would chew up my cameras! He just had a thing for them
smile.png
Please know that you are doing the right thing.... and your sweetheart knows you love him! I will say prayers for you, your husband and your beloved friend. Theresa
hugs.gif

Thanks again ya'll. I checked into the wheelchair but Oscar is 70 lbs. and would be very hard on me to still lift him in and out.

Back
Top Bottom