Need tips with goslings

Sep 30, 2017
So my 4 day old goslings are making this high pitched squeal at random times. I am new to geese, so I am cautious with plenty of things. Also I know this should be in the feeding and watering forums, but where do I get 20% protein food because I can only find 18% at my local Tractor Supply.

Also looking for advice on goslings! I picked up four ‘mixed geese’ at tractor supply and I’m having a lot of trouble finding information on raising geese especially regarding protein percentage in feed and best waterer options.

So my 4 day old goslings are making this high pitched squeal at random times. I am new to geese, so I am cautious with plenty of things. Also I know this should be in the feeding and watering forums, but where do I get 20% protein food because I can only find 18% at my local Tractor Supply.
Tractor Supply should have Purina flock raiser crumbles which is 20 percent protein.

That’s what I feed my buckeye chickens so I have some! And idea on water? I know they need to dunk their heads but I’m not sure if they could accidentally drown in the brooder like chickens can.
They only need it deep enough to clean out there nostrils. They don't need to dunk there head.

Hi there! I am expecting two goslings in June and have been doing a bit of research on dietary needs. What I am reading about now is how a baby goose needs non-medicated feed, crumbs for ducks and geese are ideal and plenty of water to wash it down. I know where I live it's difficult to find food for waterfowl, chickens are alllll the craze here. So if you do use an unmedicated chick crumble, you'll have to supplement with vitamins. Usually, chick crumbles don't have enough Vitamin B and contain additives like coccidostat. Read the label and look for preservatives like Butylated hydroxyanisole & another named ethoxyquin. Avoid them if you can. If you can't, think of this feed as a short term solution, but do plan on grass as a more natural alternative. Fresh clipped grass is great (need to read more about gizzard worm still....) Fresh greens like good lettuce, dandelion leaves and kale are nice too!
Back to vitamins, Vitamin B is important. You can give the goslings a vitamin & probiotics mix in their water (along with another of just clean water) and you can also add a bit of Brewers yeast. The book I am referencing suggests sprinkling a bit over semi moist food or adding some to drinking water, 1 tsp / liter. Hope this helps!! Also, the goose book I am reading right now and enjoying is called "Keeping Geese" Breeds & Management by Chris Ashton. You can find it on Amazon or order from a local book store 😉 Best of luck!
1588085366627718484703839129533.jpg

Back
Top Bottom