Need to add ventilation but how?

LizGio

Songster
May 18, 2022
Southeastern Pennsylvania
My coop

I need detailed suggestions about what I should use and how and where I should install ventilation in my prefab coop. I live in southeast Pennsylvania and I have RIRs, golden comets, and soon silkies. Our birds are only a few weeks old so far but we also plan to put this coop inside of the large run and hopefully just build our own new larger coop next year. Unfortunately the large run and rebuilding the coop have to wait as we have hit some financial speed bumps.

Then we need details......
Pics of coop, inside and out.
How many birds.
Pics are in the links.

I would start by cutting out the triangle directly under the roof peak on both sides and replacing with hardwire cloth. I can't tell from the pics where the roost is. You want the bottom of your ventilation to be about 1 foot above the birds' heads when they roost, but that coop is so small it's hard to tell if that's feasible.

I would max 3 birds in there. Definitely not 6 as per the product specs

Then we need details......
Pics of coop, inside and out.
How many birds.
The link that I posted is my coop. It should take you to tractor supplies website. My coop is the producer's pride sentinel. I didn't check to see if the link worked though so I will look into that shortly

Last edited:
Pics are in the links.

I would start by cutting out the triangle directly under the roof peak on both sides and replacing with hardwire cloth. I can't tell from the pics where the roost is. You want the bottom of your ventilation to be about 1 foot above the birds' heads when they roost, but that coop is so small it's hard to tell if that's feasible.

I would max 3 birds in there. Definitely not 6 as per the product specs
Thank you! How large should the cutouts be? I wasn't sure if I should install a fan as well? Here is a pic I found online of the roost bar. I plan to hang nest box curtains too because it so small.

@aart I currently have 4 1-month old RIRS (confident at least two are roos which I will have to re-home), two 3-week golden comets (pretty sure one is a mutt, not a golden Comet as it is black.🤣 I also think it's a roo too 😔 . Every other hatch in the batch was a typical golden Comet accept this guy 🤔) On the way are 4 bantam chicks. I only plan to keep two and rehome the other two of I get any pullets. So that would leave me with 2 RIRs, 1 GC, 2 bantam silkies.

I am desperately trying to get the same coop from a neighbor but I can't afford the whole $300 he wants for it. I wanted to put them side by side and take out the middle walls. My plan was to get one of the big metal walk in runs with the pointed roof with half shade cover. Something like this ( link at bottom)

The birds are still small(ish) so I think I have a little time to get it all set up. They're still in the brooder but desperately need to get to the coop.

There is a large tree that provides very decent shade for about 3/4 of the day where the coop currently sits. The run that I plan on putting up eventually would extend into the sunlight.
Walk in run

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220601-081939.png
    Screenshot_20220601-081939.png
    2.2 MB · Views: 6
Last edited:
Thank you! How large should the cutouys be? I wasn't sure if I should install a fan as well? Here is a pic I found online of the roost bar. I plan to hang nest box curtains too because it so small.

@aart I currently have 4 1-month old RIRS (confident at least two are roos which I will have to re-home), two 3-week golden comets (pretty sure one is a mutt, not a golden Comet as it is black.🤣 I also think it's a roo too 😔 . Every other hatch in the batch was a typical golden Comet accept this guy 🤔) On the way are 4 bantam chicks. I only plan to keep two and rehome the other two of I get any pullets. So that would leave me with 2 RIRs, 1 GC, 2 bantam silkies.

I am desperately trying to get the same coop from a neighbor but I can't afford the whole $300 he wants for it. I wanted to put them side by side and take out the middle walls. My plan was to get one of the big metal walk in runs with the pointed roof with half shade cover. Something like this ( link at bottom)

The birds are still small(ish) so I think I have a little time to get it all set up. They're still in the brooder but desperately need to get to the coop.

There is a large tree that provides very decent shade for about 3/4 of the day where the coop currently sits. The run that I plan on putting up eventually would extend into the sunlight.
Walk in run
If I read the specs correctly, the coop is 3x3 feet? That gives you 9 square feet of floor space, assuming that doesn't include the nest boxes. Rule of thumb is 4 square feet per bird minimum, or 2 square feet per bantam bird. You need 16 square feet minimum for the birds you plan to have. There is absolutely no way that coop is going to be adequate for them. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

As for ventilation, you need ateast 1 square foot per bird.

You should look into finding reclaimed lumber and building your own extension. Pallets are often readily available from businesses. If you have a local buy and sell, put a call out for excess material that people might be looking to get rid of for free or cheap.

My whole coop is from recycled material, less the rafters I bought and the hardware. I've spent less than $200.

Just a quick answer to "why do I need that much space? Let's see how this goes."

If your birds are crowded, you will run into behavior issues because they're packed in too tight. Miserable time for everyone when you have birds beating the crap out of each other because they weren't provide sufficient dwelling space.
I'm aware. Plans to expand are in the works!

If I read the specs correctly, the coop is 3x3 feet? That gives you 9 square feet of floor space, assuming that doesn't include the nest boxes. Rule of thumb is 4 square feet per bird minimum, or 2 square feet per bantam bird. You need 16 square feet minimum for the birds you plan to have. There is absolutely no way that coop is going to be adequate for them. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

As for ventilation, you need ateast 1 square foot per bird.

You should look into finding reclaimed lumber and building your own extension. Pallets are often readily available from businesses. If you have a local buy and sell, put a call out for excess material that people might be looking to get rid of for free or cheap.

My whole coop is from recycled material, less the rafters I bought and the hardware. I've spent less than $200.
I'm not sure if you read the entire post but I did say I'm planning on expanding the coop....😬 How big do you think holes should be

Back
Top Bottom