Need to give a shot. Question about injectable

Harry Rooster

Chirping
7 Years
Jan 11, 2013
"the boonies" in, Alabama
My Coop
My Coop
The Penicillin bottle says it's supposed to be room temperature. I've had it in the fridge so it's cold. Is it imperative that the medicine be room temperature or can it be cold or cool? Going to have to give it soon. Trying to heat it up a bit beside the heat lamp I have on my baby chicks. Need to know something soon if anyone can tell me. I was talking to someone, but they left before giving me an answer. Thanks anyone that can tell me.

Thank you so much for answering. It's a goose, rather a gander. Not sure what his problem is but think he has an infection, and this is my only recourse. No vets anywhere will see him or give advise or anything and he is getting worse and weak. It's this or he dies for sure. The correct place would be just like a chicken right? In the breast above the leg kind of on the side a bit? Wouldn't that be like a chicken?

Well, he started acting like he was tired about a week ago, just didn't seem like himself, and we thought that he would get over whatever was ailing him all by himself, since we've never had any trouble or sickness with the geese in all the many many years we've had them. After last week of waiting for him to snap out of it, he didn't and just kept getting less and less active, and then he just started laying around and sleeping all the time and acting lethargic for the past couple of days seemed worse, so I started trying to find a vet to see him and maybe give him a shot of some antibiotic or do some blood work to see what he had or do a fecal test to see if he maybe had worms, since we've never wormed either one of them ever before since we've had them. No one would see them or even give advise except to put Tetracycline in the water until he gets better. Two days ago I started putting that in their water, but no change still. I called every vet I could find and even had help with trying to find one on the internet, but still no one would even consider seeing him or doing any tests for me, so on the advise of someone who has a flock of geese and treats their own themselves, I was advised to get some PenG at the feed store and some needles and do it myself, since it's either that, or death of the gander. He is so weak now that he hardly walks and I just hope I have intervened in time to save his life. I was told that if his poop is bright green, that that is a sign of a bacterial infection, so I finally got to see what it was like while I was weighing him, and it was very watery and bright green, so it would seem then that he has a bacterial infection, and if that is the case, then the PenG should knock it out after a few days, I'm praying anyway. We've had those 2 soo many years that they are like our children to us and it would be extremely sad and never the same here again without those two. I've been so upset that no one at all would help me in any way with them. Not even the Avian vets, that are aprox 70-80 miles away would even agree to look at them. No one! So it was either that or just sit back and watch them die. Can't bear that, no matter what I may have to try.
fl.gif

I've also read that green poop can indicate starvation. Can you feed him some hard boiled eggs to help give him a boost and also poultry nutri-drench as additional supportive care while you administer the penG. Just ensure you give the full course of antibiotics and don't stop early.
Praying for your gander, I know it's hard to wait and see with th3m.

The Penicillin bottle says it's supposed to be room temperature. I've had it in the fridge so it's cold. Is it imperative that the medicine be room temperature or can it be cold or cool? Going to have to give it soon. Trying to heat it up a bit beside the heat lamp I have on my baby chicks. Need to know something soon if anyone can tell me. I was talking to someone, but they left before giving me an answer. Thanks anyone that can tell me.
When I gave it to horses the vet told me to draw up the amount needed and to warm it up by rolling the syringe between the palms of my hands. Maybe you could try that?

-Kathy

Your goose sounds very sick and I think your only chance to save him without going to a vet is to tube feed him fluids, then fluids and food *and* overnight some Baytril or Cipro, both can be purchased without a prescription. You can use aquarium air line for a tube, you just need to melt the end so you don't damage his throat/crop.

-Kathy

Jonda didn't you say he had a lump under his eye?? Sounds like what we dealt with with the peacock. Baytril/ Cipro worked very well for our peacock...

Back
Top Bottom