Need to keep an early riser, Duck, Quiet at 4.30am asap. Suggestions please.

LorraineM

In the Brooder
7 Years
Nov 25, 2012
I have started a thread on my 'new' duck (link below) which will give you a starter on my new duck Charlie.

My main, and really only problem is, she wakes at 4.30am each day
and i need to stop her from doing it.
It's been 4 days and to be honest i am tired, so i can imagine my neighbours
are not too happy about it.

Even if i do ask them to be patient, they will only take so much of it i am sure.
Some of them do have to go to work also.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/734535/raising-ducks-like-children-please-dont/10

I have just been reading and reading in here - trying hard not to get sidetracked with other messages,
but failed......... a lot
tongue.png

and think owning a Pekin is not a real good idea in my neighbourhood
hmm.png

Considered the noisiest or close to i think my problem isn't going to go away.

omg she is so quiet right now

I keep going through this...........
omgoodness please shhhhhhhhhhh
to
oh wow she's been quiet for awhile
moments
idunno.gif

Many people that keep roosters in an area they are not allowed will keep them in a soundproof night box. You could try that at least and see if it work for a duck too.

Yeah, sometimes my 2 Runner girls will get going in the morning but usually not until later...however if I put them up in their duck house at night and close the door until I come out to open it at about 8:30 they don't make as much noise when they're closed up.

What kind of shelter does she have? Company? My ducks get raucous sometimes, and I feel it is just because they miss me (even though they have each other, they consider me part of the flock and, I suspect, worry about me if I am gone too long. Whatever "too long" is to them).

Ducks are social critters.

Here is a near-impossible suggestion question. Could you get to bed earlier and become an early riser, too, and somehow do some of your normal activities with her near? She told me to ask you that
hide.gif

What kind of shelter does she have? Company? My ducks get raucous sometimes, and I feel it is just because they miss me (even though they have each other, they consider me part of the flock and, I suspect, worry about me if I am gone too long. Whatever "too long" is to them).

Ducks are social critters.

Here is a near-impossible suggestion question. Could you get to bed earlier and become an early riser, too, and somehow do some of your normal activities with her near? She told me to ask you that
hide.gif

Oh my gosh that is too funny!!! I almost want to suggest trying to keep the DUCK awake all day and then hopefully she is will sleep longer (I know, I know, not a child, but I thought it might work.) Does she have other ducks?

My ducks used to wake up early like that ( its my fault though because I go to work at 4 am)
and then quack all through the morning. We now cover their bed/box with a blanket and it's like a miracle. No sound until my bf gets up and removes it.

I swear its like magic. Now my neighbors like me again =]

Tha'ts hilarious Amiga
big_smile.png

I had a large metal avery i enclosed 3 sides in black plastic, two sides not for air flow,
put it in side the chook pen where they all sleep which has also been blacked out and it still didnt work :eek:
I think someone near me must be up and make a noise early in the morning, cos i have noticed Charlie reacts
to my voice or hears me walk through the house or if i am at the kitchen sink etc.

Anyhoo seems my neighbours, one at least, has no patience and has taken to throwing a mango at the chook pen.
I've had Charlie for 5 days i have been to the pen the minute she began her noise and let her out.

(amazed at how many barking dogs are in this area, and i mean for yrs and yrs and yrs, i have a duck 5 days,
also a neighbour 2 doors from me decided to say on my FB that she wasn't complaining that she was
woken at 4.30am to have to work all day tired and come home to hear the duck again
hmm.png

and she has been on of the culprits with an ongoing little yap yap dog for many many yrs.)

Anyhoo UPDATE:
Charlie has been rehomed on a 5acre property with a lady who has another duck, kids and a dam.
She said her other duck waddles to their door at 4.30/5am each day and she is up anyway.
I'm just hoping Charlie will be ok as he is very humanized, but the lady sounds lovely.
So i did my best and fingers crossed Charlie fits in wonderfully and is safe.

thumbsup.gif

Tha'ts hilarious Amiga
big_smile.png

I had a large metal avery i enclosed 3 sides in black plastic, two sides not for air flow,
put it in side the chook pen where they all sleep which has also been blacked out and it still didnt work :eek:
I think someone near me must be up and make a noise early in the morning, cos i have noticed Charlie reacts
to my voice or hears me walk through the house or if i am at the kitchen sink etc.

Anyhoo seems my neighbours, one at least, has no patience and has taken to throwing a mango at the chook pen.
I've had Charlie for 5 days i have been to the pen the minute she began her noise and let her out.

(amazed at how many barking dogs are in this area, and i mean for yrs and yrs and yrs, i have a duck 5 days,
also a neighbour 2 doors from me decided to say on my FB that she wasn't complaining that she was
woken at 4.30am to have to work all day tired and come home to hear the duck again
hmm.png

and she has been on of the culprits with an ongoing little yap yap dog for many many yrs.)

Anyhoo UPDATE:
Charlie has been rehomed on a 5acre property with a lady who has another duck, kids and a dam.
She said her other duck waddles to their door at 4.30/5am each day and she is up anyway.
I'm just hoping Charlie will be ok as he is very humanized, but the lady sounds lovely.
So i did my best and fingers crossed Charlie fits in wonderfully and is safe.

thumbsup.gif
fl.gif

Back
Top Bottom