Needing Advice on Breeds to Get

loverofbirds14

In the Brooder
6 Years
Jul 3, 2013
Wisconsin
Hello!

So I live in town, and because of that I have been chickenless for almost a year now.
hit.gif
But now I can finally get some new chickens and I am SO excited to get some new ones. However, since we live in town we have to have a breed that is quiet and can't fly very well, so that they won't get out and get hit by a car or have something else terrible happen to them. I was thinking about getting silkies because we have had them before and I know that they are good birds, but I was also looking into frizzles, or polish, or even a frizzle polish. But I need to know if they are quiet or not and if they are winter-hardy. I'm also open to other suggestions as well if someone has had another great breed. I would love if someone who has owned polish or frizzle polish could tell me if they are quiet and friendly or not.

Thanks!
smile.png

All of those breeds are pretty quiet (as chickens go), especially Silkies. If you are going to keep your birds in a fenced in area with a fence at least 5-6 feet high, with no poultry netting over the top to keep them from flying out, and you are not planning to clip the primary flight feathers on one of their wings, then Silkies would be a good choice as they don't fly (although they are quite good jumpers). Other breeds that have a well deserved reputation as being calm, gentle, and relatively quiet are Australorps, Orpingtons, Brahmas, and Cochins, but you will definitely need to clip one wing if you don't have poultry netting over the top of your enclosed area. If egg production is a priority, Australorps are the best layers on this list. Whatever breed you decide to get, good luck with your flock. :eek:)

Back
Top Bottom