Needing Feed Help

HeatherKellyB

✝️ Perfectly Imperfect ✝️
May 31, 2019
Moore County, NC
Good morning BYC! I have ran out of my ducks usual feed (it is a floating duck feed from Southern States) and just found out that they won't be getting anymore in until Thursday, at the earliest. I've been giving them Flock Raisers (accidentally purchased crumble, instead of pellet, so this is a change for all of my animals) that my chickens eat, but because my ducks only eat at night (when I get them off the pond they eat from bowls and then drink from a tiny swimming pool) and then get locked up in their duck house for the night. I have one Pekin that suffered from an ankle/foot deformity when I got him at a week old. With the help of some amazing folks here, I was able to get him walking on a flat foot instead of his ankle joint. He is still slower than the others, limps, and can't hold himself up with that foot to scratch or whatever with his strong foot. I don't want to cause any deficiencies that might further any problems, especially in the Pekins. I have High Level Vitamin B Complex but I've not had any luck getting any of these 6 ducks to take it. I did use human Niacin 500mg capsules spilt into thirds, mixed in their water. Now that they're out on the pond all day and then eat however much feed they want at night, what are some complete feed options (in pellet or something not a crumble) that are easy to find? If you suggest Flock Raisers or All Flock, should I start putting niacin in the feed? My ducks are going through a stage where they don't want to be bothered or touched. They don't trust humans enough to even accept treats right now. I'm not sure if this is because of the breeds or because I have way too many drakes or what. I'm still trying to figure out how to handle this as I know it's not going to be possible to keep all six ducks with four being drakes. The 3 Pekins and 1 Golden 300 (still not positive of her breed) hatched Aug 7th and the Cayuga and other Golden 300 Drake hatched Aug 13th. So they're 15/16 weeks old if that information is needed. I know that I have shared unnecessary information but that's in hopes of providing a clear picture. Please feel free to ask anything I haven't already shared. Thank you so much for your time in reading this "book" and for any helpful information you can share with me.

Purina Flock Raiser has the correct amount of niacin for water fowl. That said there can always be an exception to this rule though and we can get one especially in large breed (Pekin) that can still have a problem so you want to watch for weak legs, legs beginning to bow, or limping or lameness. If you feel better go ahead an add the niacin.

Thank you both so much! I didn't know that Flock Raiser is complete for all of my animals (minus my dogs)! That's wonderful news! I just need to get it in pellet form. Depending on the date the feed was made, I get either Purina Flock Raisers or Nutrena All Flock. Am I correct in assuming that All Flock is complete as well? I just need to keep an eye out for leg/joint problems in my Pekins? I really appreciate the time and help from both of you.

Either brand should work. I personally prefer the pellet too. A all flock or flock raiser is formulated to meet the needs of multiple species of poultry. Just put out a separate bowl or two for the extra calcium needs of any laying eggs. They will consume it as necessary.

Either brand should work. I personally prefer the pellet too. A all flock or flock raiser is formulated to meet the needs of multiple species of poultry. Just put out a separate bowl or two for the extra calcium needs of any laying eggs. They will consume it as necessary.

As far as laying goes, I wasn't expecting any eggs until Spring. Neither of the two females have laid any in their duck house, but I let them out at sunrise since they go up at dark and it gets dark so early now. Should I be on the watch for eggs before spring time? I have 1 Pekin and 1 Golden 300 females that are 16 weeks old. I am worried that my abundance of drakes might be problematic for the 2 girls before I thought they would be (springtime). Is it as difficult to rehome drakes as it is to rehome cockerels?

You should get eggs as soon as they mature, the chickens at least. My lavender Orpingtons laid fairly well for me. Mine started between 5-6 months. The one with the red comb looks to be close to starting.

Drakes you will need to do something with. They will mate hens repeatedly. They can be worse than some roosters.

Unfortunately there aren't enough homes for all the male poultry. We butcher extras here.

If butchering isn’t in your plans and you have the room depending on how many drakes you have you could add more females each drake needs 3 an up females each. Just know that doesn’t always work out either and you have to keep the drakes and their females separated from each other to prevent fighting, I did this for years until I decided to down size from originally 4 drakes one died of old age which left me with 3 I was blessed to find good homes for the 2 I chose to leave. That left me with one Muscovy drake and 4 of his females. Now I have 2 Runner drakes and am not sure how that’s going to pan out come spring they have 9 females total between them just not sure how they are going to be with each other. Right now dad an son are doing good together. Hormones are at a low.

As far as laying goes, I wasn't expecting any eggs until Spring. Neither of the two females have laid any in their duck house, but I let them out at sunrise since they go up at dark and it gets dark so early now. Should I be on the watch for eggs before spring time? I have 1 Pekin and 1 Golden 300 females that are 16 weeks old. I am worried that my abundance of drakes might be problematic for the 2 girls before I thought they would be (springtime). Is it as difficult to rehome drakes as it is to rehome cockerels?
Yes, I have wayyyy too many drakes because I take them from people who can’t care for them anymore because I m a sucker. But now I have 43 ducks and have had two injuries in the last two weeks. I suggest putting an ad on your local internet site that sells everything from cars to furniture. They also usually sell livestock. That’s where I get mine. You could put pictures up at any small feed stores you have in your town. And apparently pepople use FB to creatively sell animals during a regular post. I don’t use FB so I have no clue. I wouldn’t bother looking for eggs yet. Most breeds take about 4 mths maybe more, and then, since it’s winter and less daylight, that will likely puss their production back. Don’t give up on them being friendly. Keep doing the treats. They don’t need to be expensive. Simple veggies they love! Peas! Mine love love squash.. you can always put the bcomplex in the water if they do need it down the road. Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom