Neep help encouraging Guineas to venture out

DuckDuckGuinea

University of North Quackalina
10 Years
Aug 23, 2009
NC
What is the best way to encourage my 4 guineas (2 white, one dark purple, one lavender) to explore more of the property and eat thoe tics. They love hanging out and tormenting the dogs, hanging around the ducks and chickens but they don't stray too far. They have 10 acres, streams, and a wooded hillside that they have never even seen.
I am unable to catch them and they rarely listen to me, just run me in circles. Any guinea advise much appreciated.

How old are they?

They should venture out after a while. It takes them a bit to adjust. They first few weeks after winter when I turned mine out, they stayed in the yard near the coop. Now they are everywhere and each day they seem to get farther out.

I'm having the same problem with mine.They were raised with the chickens and now they won't leave the pen.They fly out of the pen and walk around the fence for a minute or two,then fly back into the pen.They roost on the fence rail and then fly back into the pen.I've had guineas before and they ranged around my property,often only returning at night to roost in the trees around the pen.This is making me mad!

Andy

Give them time. Mine are almost never near the coop any more. It could take a while but they will want to wander in a group. Mine cover four acres and sometimes go over the fence to the neighbors.

Amazing- This morning all four guineas have started to venture down the hillside to the highly populated tic suburbia. One guinea is 9 months old who was raised by ducks and has finally been accepted into the 6 month old guinea gang.

Back
Top Bottom