Neighbor hates my chickens- will she do them harm?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh my gosh, this was the first time I read this, too! Please, oh please tell us what happened when you sent them the letter about their stuff being on your property. That's priceless.

We also had a terrible neighbor. They would throw their trash onto our property in the back field, so that my husband would have to stop and get off the tractor and throw it back when he mowed. And they'd then scream at him for throwing trash on their property. They'd have loud parties with fireworks and shoot fireworks at our property at 3am. One rocket landed on the barn roof. We have a video of them screaming at us one night when we went to ask them to stop with the fireworks, with them cussing and abusing us and screaming that my husband should "shut his gay mouth, with your fat b@tch wife and GAY CHICKENS!!". We started calling the sheriff ever time they had fireworks after that, since they are illegal here in Ohio. He paid for a surveyor, too. And it turns out that our property line was 10' farther that way than we thought, so they lost land over the deal. They put in a row of trees to block our property--YAY! Then the father went to jail and they lost the house to foreclosure. I will admit that I didn't feel even the slightest bit bad for them, and danced around the house singing hallelujah after that. We now have the sweetest young couple on that side, so it all worked out very well.

Having been a government employee for many years, here's my advice (if you still need it): stay within the law, as you have been. Don't retaliate in any way except the legal ones. Keep detailed notes. Take pictures. Then use the system. Report those lights. They hurt your eyes, don't put up with them. Call the Heath Department about the trash on your property--in Ohio, that's illegal dumping and can get them in a lot of trouble. Etc. Etc. etc.

26 acres and still neighbor issues?
Well...ugh!

I would do my best to be considerate - even when I speak to her - you are obeying the law - what can one really do about a crowing rooster? That's their job. I find it rather idyllic in a pastoral kind of way.
cool.png

Have you ever offered her some eggs as a kind of compromise to the situation?

And the driveway ding-dong...we have one of those. Had to turn it off at night because the deer kept setting it off, and off, and off.
We needs our sleep...

Try not to let her bother you...try to think of a way to quell the situation if only to bring you peace of mind.

First, I would secure locks on the coop. I have latches for padlocks on the main door and nest box lid for mine. I never use them. But I can slip a padlock on if I ever feel the need. Next, I would contact your local law enforcement and tell them that you are being harassed and fear it will continue to escalate. While the noise of your rooster is legal, the things she is doing are, most likely, breaking noise ordinances. Also, her actions are aimed at you, which which is harassment, which is not legal. There comes a point where you accept that you can't "keep the peace," and focus on protecting yourself.

hahahaha...it all boils down to live and let live...loosing parents isn't bad enough? Have some compassion ...Spock brings joy...he crows that's what roos do but to be rude about it...well that's just not very country of her...so sour Ole neighbor better just get over it and adjust...that's life....wonder how you'd feel if someone told
you to get rid of your beloved pet..lol

Intersting: talk of compassion amid suggestions about harassing someone in every way immaginable.
Not everyone appreciates chickens. It's not that difficult a concept I don't know why you can't grasp it inless you're somewhat limited.

Quote: That's the BEST. Keep up the good work. At the end of the day, the true pity of the situation is that she's some self-absorbed human who BELIEVES she has the right to bend neighbors to her will. Wonder how miserable she's been for her last 80 years, with 7 billion people on the planet not all doing what she wants? Gee, that must be HORRID! Stay on the right side of the law, document, and laugh/dance whenever you can. And you sound like you're on the right track, but do protect your sweet birds. You never know if she's going to go drastic. I'm sure she's the victim, in her own mind, tolerating your 'abrasive' roo, and could just decide to not 'take it' for one more day.

Good luck.

Im so glad your handling the situation beautifully..glad you found out about the property lines...lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom