Neighbor hates my chickens- will she do them harm?

Status
Not open for further replies.
When I moved here a guinea already lived here. Believe me, he travels. No body complains because I am completely surrounded by huge cattle farms. But, he only hangs around long enough for the morning feeding......and is gone for the rest ofthe day
smile.png

So, I am envisioning guineas flying over the fence to go visit the crazy lady neighbor!
We could always tie a note to her on one of the guinea's legs and send it over. Oh, NO! Did I say that? Think I need either a time out or a nap. Nap...yup...nap works.

When I moved here a guinea already lived here. Believe me, he travels. No body complains because I am completely surrounded by huge cattle farms. But, he only hangs around long enough for the morning feeding......and is gone for the rest ofthe day :)

So, I am envisioning guineas flying over the fence to go visit the crazy lady neighbor!
and perching in her trees and screaming their heads off when she plays her music.

Last edited:
this. is. awesome. i mean, i'm sorry you have such a crappy neighbor and all but, WOW... what a good write up you're doing. it's like a tv show. i really hate this neighbor of yours now!

What i mean is guineas will travel miles if let loose at first keep in with chickens long enough and then let them go they will stay in that certain area.. like chickens!

What i mean is guineas will travel miles if let loose at first keep in with chickens long enough and then let them go they will stay in that certain area.. like chickens!

If your guineas stay home, you may have the only guineas in the world that do. I have had guineas two different times in my life. Neither flock stayed with the chickens unless forced to.

The first flock I had I was forced to sell to keep peace in the neighborhood. When my nearest neighbor built a commercial chicken house my guineas went up the road to visit every afternoon. Perdue finally told my neighbor to contact me about my guineas. Because I had to put them in the coop and KEEP them home, I sold them. My neighbor lived nearly a mile from me!

There again I started with16 guineas and they turned to 2 guineas 10 of them died because of a eagle landing on cage and killing them I almost died of a heart attack 4 got killed by a dog..
he.gif

:) Guinea hens would drive me crazy too!!!!! Today we turned our special zoning exception permit application for our 8 foot high stockade fence. Our fence permit is up for discussion in the town meeting on June 5th! As part of the application we wrote a letter to the town describing EVERYTHING crazy lady has done to harass us and our animals.

On June 5th we will go to the meeting and our crazy neighbor can come as well if she wants to protest. Then she can listen to the all the things she has done as they are read publicly in a town meeting. :) I like that!

Last Saturday she cranked the music up all day and then I noticed something weird... she had a chair and an umbrella and she was sitting just on the other side of her garbage trailer on the property line with her back to us. ? Why... if she hates the chickens so much then why was she sitting 15 feet away from them for hours? I just don't understand....!!! Leave us alone!!!

I just stumbled on your thread, thanks to your adorable rooster.
love.gif
Wow! I'm sorry you have had such a time with your neighbor! I really hope that you are granted the permit for your fence. You deserve a little bit of peace after all this! Looking forward to your next update!

Any kind of tit for tat response only escalates these things. Best course is always to document everything and attempt a reasonable and peaceful solution. Which you have. But some people are just irrational and failing a peaceful solution all one can do is protect oneself. I think your DH has handled the recent developments well.

I work for my local municipality and we get bitter/crazy/bully neighbors like this coming to us to 'help' them, when they are usually the one causing problems. We had one guy complaining that his neighbor was urinating on his flower pots through the fence. It went on for months. He'd come in with some fresh complaint and want us to do something. (There was no case of code violation for us to act on. It was a civil dispute.) It finally ended when he applied to be a volunteer on city projects and guess what showed up on his background check? At his previous residence this guy had a restraining order for harassing the neighbor. All the while, believing himself to be the victim and believing he had legitimate evidence.

We recently had two neighbors arguing about a tree branch that came down in the snowstorm in February and it supposedly damaged the fence. Last I heard from our code enforcement officer, nobody had picked it up and they were threatening legal action on each other. I have seen the fence in question and it a) looked fine, no obvious damage from my perspective and b) it's a ramshackle kind of thing that isn't worth the battle. In the words of our code officer, "Oh my God why can't they just pick up the branch? It only takes a few seconds."

Last edited by a moderator:
I think I'm lucky here, with only an acre and a half of property between my grandfather and myself that none of the neighbors mind the animals. Grandfather has quite a few pigeons, about half a dozen chickens, and a few guineas and I keep around two dozen chickens along with a pair each of muscovy ducks and turkeys. Granted, it probably helps matters that I try to share fresh eggs with them whenever I have some spares available, but they've never done anything to hurt my poultry, even on the rare occasion that one flies over the fence. We even had a new neighbor move in right across the street from where the run for my main flock is... I told him that if they ever bother him or his kids to just let me know and I would deal with it, but his response was that as long as I didn't have any mean roosters running loose they don't mind a bit. I hope you can get something done about your psychotic neighbor... I really wish more people were like my neighbors. The world would certainly be a better place.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom