Neighbor hates my chickens- will she do them harm?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Best of luck. Waiting with my fingers crossed. Sometimes you just can't believe that people can be that crazy until you hear about things like this.

So ends one of the most awful nights of my life. We were denied 2 votes to 3. Crazy lady got up and started talking and I walked out of the meeting and waited in the hall. And in addition the town manager told crazy lady that zoning regulations said I couldn't have a rooster. It really was awful. We are a farm... our land is considered farm, taxed as farm etc. The Zoning enforcement officer said he never enforced R-1 regulations unless there were complaints, she stood up and said "We'll I'm complaining". I am really upset... no fence and now I may have to get rid of Spock. If that happens I am in the market for some guinea hens and a donkey.

I seem to remember you saying you were zoned two different ways. Might want to talk to a lawyer.

If you have to get rid of the guy I'll bet there are plenty of folks on here who would take him (and not eat him).

But before you send him away, might want to record him crowing. Put it on a loop. Play it outside. Often. Loudly. You know, to help comfort yourself.

Then get donkeys, African geese, and Guinea hens.

Check you local 'nuisance' or invasive species list and see if any bamboos are on the list, if they are cross those types of bamboo of the list and look at other bamboos... With bamboo you can create an impenetrable 15' - 30' tall privacy fence within a year or two (many are evergreens) no fencing permit needed for plants
wink.png
Plant them about 2-3 feet your side of the property line and look at 'containment' methods so you can prevent them from spreading further into your yard
wink.png
Generally containment consist of digging a trench and dropping in a sheet of thick plastic or aluminum flashing to a depth of about 15" creating an underground wall that the roots won't cross... As for the neighbors side, just LOL at them and call the po-po if they start destroying any of your new bamboo 'garden' that is on your side of the property line...

Example...

Last edited:
love all these above ideas and yes don't just take the councils word for it without checking. We are battling a neighbour who wants to rip up agricultural land next door to us, take out gravel, process it on the site (we are all farmers around here with our own wells and realize how fragile the water supply is here) and allegedly allow 'clean landfill' to be dumped in to replace it. This is all so that allegedly they can improve it for grazing cattle. We have been challenging the council on their illegal practices (there are 3 people on the committee who clearly have vested interests in this) of trying to push this through.
So check it out. They may have got it wrong. So sorry for all the hassles you have gone through so far.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom