Neighbor hates my chickens- will she do them harm?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I seem to remember you saying you were zoned two different ways. Might want to talk to a lawyer.

If you have to get rid of the guy I'll bet there are plenty of folks on here who would take him (and not eat him).

But before you send him away, might want to record him crowing. Put it on a loop. Play it outside. Often. Loudly. You know, to help comfort yourself.

Then get donkeys, African geese, and Guinea hens.

+1

So sorry for your news today! :( But I would definitely consult a lawyer before giving up Spock.

So ends one of the most awful nights of my life. We were denied 2 votes to 3. Crazy lady got up and started talking and I walked out of the meeting and waited in the hall. And in addition the town manager told crazy lady that zoning regulations said I couldn't have a rooster. It really was awful. We are a farm... our land is considered farm, taxed as farm etc. The Zoning enforcement officer said he never enforced R-1 regulations unless there were complaints, she stood up and said "We'll I'm complaining". I am really upset... no fence and now I may have to get rid of Spock. If that happens I am in the market for some guinea hens and a donkey.
What was the wording on the fence? You can still put up a 6ft fence, right? It really is time to put up a camera or 2 along with a sign that states property is protected by cctv. Then follow that up by filing complaints for the music and other stuff she has done. With the camera, you have proof of harassment.

Someone else posted you should talk to a lawyer, I think that's a good idea. I wouldn't just lay down and take it.

One day we had a bon fire in our fire pit......not long here comes our arse hole neighbor to complain that the wind is blowing the smoke over to his house. (He complains about EVERYTHING) We apologized, but said there was nothing we could do about the wind. (We don not have bon fires very often, maybe once a month) He of course left with his panties in a bunch. Following Monday we have 2 strangers in the back woods on our property, over by the fire pit. (They were trying to get as close to the pit without leaving the woods) As I watched the VIDEO, I realized that it was the neighbor and a man that looked very much like our township supervisor. They where there for about 10 to 15 minutes before going back to the neighbors. We waited to see if we would hear anything. The pit is legal, dug in, lined with bricks. Never heard anything, but saved the video anyway, cause its proof of trespassing, and believe me we would have pressed charges.

That's a darn shame!

Getting other noisy animals is probably not a good idea in reality, tho a pleasant contemplation to assuage the thoughts of revenge, especially if you plan to throw a noise ordinance prosecution at the crazy neighbor.

Sounds like a tangled zoning issue at least, and the good old boy(and maybe girls) aspect of the council is infuriating!

Such a tough decision, whether to comply or take on the financial cost of a lawyer and the further emotional cost of a long bureaucratic battle.

I would say it's high time you launched a law suit against both crazy lady and town council. Meanwhile, you could plant some nasty thorny stuff on your line or plant bamboo as stated above. When bamboo stands thicken, it's almost impossible for people to walk through without cutting it down. And if she cuts it down, you can sue for damages. It's high time you guys play hardball with this punk. Get a lawyer, get legal, get ruthless.

Thank you all for the encouraging words...I was very depressed after the meeting. My DH was just mad. The two people who voted against us gave the reason that it wouldn't solve our problem. The three who voted for us said there was no safety issue and what difference did 2 feet make? So today I am faced with coming to terms with the whole mess. My neighbor (1/2 a mile away) had said she would take Spock if he has to leave. He would have a good home. I go to her house every week and would still get to see him. I would miss him. I will record his crow :) I love that idea. And Spock having to leave will only make me dig my heals in. But he may not have to go. The Town Zoning Officer can decide what ordinances he decides to enforce....so let's see if he tries to enforce this one. He actually owes us a favor. Our neighbors on the other side ( they are long since gone now...house was foreclosed and now abandoned) were allowing someone to operate a "chop shop" out of their yard. The tow trucks going in and out of the yard all day...junk vehicles being stripped. It was pretty bad. I took pictures of the switched license plates...much evidence was passed onto the zoning officer whose job is to investigate. He did nothing....and then when we finally complained for the 10th time, he actually looked at the pictures. He recognized the guy running the chop shop as a person who he had already kicked out of another place in town a year ago without enough evidence to call the state police. He apologized to us...for allowing this activity to go on for a YEAR and doing nothing. So....if there is any way we can keep Spock...then he will let us.

In the meantime Warren Harding (the new "oops" rooster from this year) is staying. He started to crow just the other day! He crowed when Spock did...it was funny! Warren Harding is only 2 1/2 months old. So if Spock has to leave then crazy lady can go ahead and start the whole "get rid of the rooster" process over again when Warren Harding starts to crow loudly. And when she does I will get two roosters....and we will begin again. And then I will order three roosters...then four...then five.... the town says I can keep them legally until they are 6 months of age. So I could turn it into a situation where she would have to complain to the town...forever. The town will eventually get sick of her. All they can do to us is send us a letter, which we can ignore as our "chop shop" neighbors did. Then they can send us another letter telling us to get rid of the rooster or they will fine us $100 a day starting 30 days from today until we do. Then we can rehome those roosters and get another rooster under 6 months and the whole process begins again.

We can still put up our 6 foot fence....which we will do at some point this summer. No guinea hens....they really would drive me crazier than her! However, I am leaning towards getting a small donkey as a guardian for my baby goats against the coyotes. Hmmmmm have some thinking to do!

I don't understand how you lost if three were in your favor and two against. :/ Does it take 4 votes to win? Also at the very beginning of this thread you mentioned that the town said you could have roosters so did they misread your zoning or something?

The bamboo fence is a very good idea. Also consider enforcing your property line as recently discovered by the surveyor that you have more land than you thought. Some places, if you let the neighbor have the land too long, they can claim ownership of the part they used. I don't know how that works but you definitely don't want it happening to you.

Last edited:
Not sure what state you live in but what's the point of having 26 acres if you can't even have a rooster? Just order whatever minimum amount of guineas from a hatchery, raise them up and turn them loose. No proof they were yours and that lady will wish she was listening to the crowing of a rooster. Problem solved. If it was me I would put a wood boiler in too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom