Neighbor hates my chickens- will she do them harm?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well... Crazy Lady is getting crazier. I mean this is nuts right? She put up two "No Trespassing" signs on her fence as far in as she could get in next to my wire fence. Written in teeny letters on the sign next the word, "TRESPASSING" it says, "4 inches from fence". I can't stop laughing!!! (see below). She pushed my wire away from her fence to get as far as she could, but because my roll of wire was chained to the fence she couldn't get in any further. Ha! Plus at the zoning meeting she stated that the fence was 3" from the property line. So I guess we are just going to keep moving the line! And she moved our Tpost again. This time DH is a little annoyed..... we'll see what he comes up with! I pushed all the wire rolls back so they were all touching her fence.

:( Last night I took the SD card out of the camera to look at the pix (all of weeds blowing in the wind bummer)... and unfortunately MISSED her on the camera putting up the signs because I didn't put it back. But the SD Card is back in now and you know she will be over there today!

I am shocked that this has gone this far and is a daily battle.

I too have a nasty neighbor. She probably thinks the same of me but I don't care.
I have lived in this house 12 years, she in hers for about 3.
I and many others own dogs. When she chose that house she could easily have seen them since the fence was a 6' chain link. She calls the cops if a dog is barking during the day or night. Mine now have to wear bark collars and be carried/drug to the yard. Not easy since I am 45, female and have bursitis in my hips and the dogs each weigh 120 pounds.
I took down the chain link and put up a privacy fence. She peers through it to harass the dogs. I planted corn and sunflowers all along it. She put a step ladder next to it so she could peer over it.
I keep my dogs in now and one of them has to be crated due to house destruction. He has injured his nose trying to get out of the crate.
I have no cure for bad neighbors.
Simply sharing your pain.
Our plan is to ignore and wait it out. Perhaps that is easier said than done, but is the only solution.

Best wishes and hopes that tall fences make for better neighbors.

Isn't it wonderful when you know you married the right person?

DH decided that creating a wall of wild rose bushes in between the two fences would do the trick. I looked out the barn door to see him driving the tractor pulling a manure spreader FULL of wild roses he had cut from our back pasture. He then jammed the entire pile into a small section in between the fences (pix below). He told me he weaved the roses in and out of the rolls of wire I had put there. He also said he made LOTS of noise while doing it. Surprise, surprise, nobody came to see what he was doing. I suppose Crazy Lady's husband could take a chain saw to it, but it might do a job on the chain saw when he hit the rolls of wire. I anxiously await a visit from the state police as the rose bushes-according to crazy lady-are trespassing on her property by 4 inches.

Isn't it wonderful when you know you married the right person? DH decided that creating a wall of wild rose bushes in between the two fences would do the trick. I looked out the barn door to see him driving the tractor pulling a manure spreader FULL of wild roses he had cut from our back pasture. He then jammed the entire pile into a small section in between the fences (pix below). He told me he weaved the roses in and out of the rolls of wire I had put there. He also said he made LOTS of noise while doing it. Surprise, surprise, nobody came to see what he was doing. I suppose Crazy Lady's husband could take a chain saw to it, but it might do a job on the chain saw when he hit the rolls of wire. I anxiously await a visit from the state police as the rose bushes-according to crazy lady-are trespassing on her property by 4 inches.
That is quite the overgrown thron patch. Is it all on your property? Does any of it go over into hers? If it does I would remove whatever is on her property quickly. while it is lawful for you to plant what you like on your side, any of you plants on her property or causing damage to her property is not lawful and she could take you to court to cover any damages. At this point it seems you guys are having a tit for tat war. This is not good as the escalating hostilities will put your animals in more danger. I'd put up my fence, ignore her posturing (which includes the stupid sign) and call the sheriff every time she breaks the law. I would try not to engage her in this kind of war, I have a horrible temper and try to avoid conflicts because I'm pure evil when angry. If she defaces, destroys property, harasses my animals, etc I would call the law and get as much video, picture, and audio evidence I could. That is how you win this type of conflict. Keep yourself above her level, stay on the right side of the law.

nyze5e3e.jpg

That is quite the overgrown thron patch. Is it all on your property? Does any of it go over into hers? If it does I would remove whatever is on her property quickly. while it is lawful for you to plant what you like on your side, any of you plants on her property or causing damage to her property is not lawful and she could take you to court to cover any damages.

It might not be that black and white, in many areas if the fence is slightly offset of the property line and it's clearly being used as a property divider fence the fence in essence becomes the 'new' property line in some degrees and the neighbor on that side can legally seize control of the 'unclaimed and unmaintained' strip of land as their own for maintenance and upkeep purposes...

It might not be that black and white, in many areas if the fence is slightly offset of the property line and it's clearly being used as a property divider fence the fence in essence becomes the 'new' property line in some degrees and the neighbor on that side can legally seize control of the 'unclaimed and unmaintained' strip  of land as their own for maintenance and upkeep purposes...

While that is true, because of the nature of the conflict and the crazy neighbors attitude, I really doubt the OP can seize control of the property outside the fence. In any event, if the OP tries to seize control of that tiny piece of land the neighbor will most likely escalate the situation. In conflicts such as this, the safety of family and animals should be the first priority. The neighbor clearly don't like the animals, so the risk/threat is very real.

I would be worried that the continuing escalation would lead to my animals being targeted. And I am the crazy person that if you harm or kill any of my animals I'd go ballistic and probably be arrested for beating the crap outta her. Knowing that about myself, I'd try to keep the situation from escalating any further and keep myself on the right side of the law. That tactic has worked for me in other instances and so that is what I'd do in a situation like this. It's also a fact that with people like this, the more you let them know it bothers you, the more they do it. If you get video, picture, and-or audio evidence and have a paper trail with law enforcement, eventually she will mess up bad enough to end up in hot water. Crazy people like this always dam themselves by their own actions, just get the evidence and sit back and enjoy the show.

Isn't it wonderful when you know you married the right person?

DH decided that creating a wall of wild rose bushes in between the two fences would do the trick. I looked out the barn door to see him driving the tractor pulling a manure spreader FULL of wild roses he had cut from our back pasture. He then jammed the entire pile into a small section in between the fences (pix below). He told me he weaved the roses in and out of the rolls of wire I had put there. He also said he made LOTS of noise while doing it. Surprise, surprise, nobody came to see what he was doing. I suppose Crazy Lady's husband could take a chain saw to it, but it might do a job on the chain saw when he hit the rolls of wire. I anxiously await a visit from the state police as the rose bushes-according to crazy lady-are trespassing on her property by 4 inches.

If you don't mind sharing, would you share your state, county and municipality if incorporated? I would like to see the boundary fence laws in your area, in my state that boundary fence is black and white illegal as the 'decorative' side is not facing outward aka towards you, and if it was in my area I could force the neighbor to either tear it down or replace it with a compliant fence as it's a clear zoning violation.. But, of course laws vary by location...
Quote:
Appears that they have already seized control of the 'unmaintained' strip on their side, and thus if it does escalate to a court date it's not going to be as black and white as the other neighbor saying "The fence is 3" on my side" because the boundary fence can change that line under law and exclusive rights to that 'buffer zone' property can be lost, and are lost in many jurisdictions once a boundary fence is erected...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom