Neighbor hates my chickens- will she do them harm?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I understand the laws and the reason for those laws... But what can we do when city folks move to the country because they think its so quiet and peaceful and soon find out that its anything but, roosters crowing, geese honking, cows mooing... Life on a farm, whether it is big or small is a noisy sometimes smelly situation and I wish folks would understand we didn't plunk money down on our little piece of the pie just to be told we cannot raise our own animals and food.

I was thinking about what you said, AmericanMom, and I'm thinking about how generally noisy it is in Chicago... Trains across the street... Expressway and two more train lines 6 blocks away... Airplanes overhead about to land... And the general daily noise of the rest of the city... It's so noisy here that the sound of chickens and roosters is kinda pleasant!

Last edited:
I was thinking about what you said, AmericanMom, and I'm thinking about how generally noisy it is in Chicago... Trains across the street... Expressway and two more train lines 6 blocks away... Airplanes overhead about to land... And the general daily noise of the rest of the city... It's so noisy here that the sound of chickens and roosters is kinda pleasant!

I know huh... but sadly some don't agree, my neighbor hates being woken up at 5 am... I don't get it, I mean ok, who likes to be woken up at 5 am but 1) we were here for almost 5 years before they were and 2) our other neighbor, bless her heart, her place is less than 100 feet from our coop and she loves, I mean loves to hear the roosters crowing... said it reminds her of when she was a little girl... She is almost 90!!

BTW... My heart goes out to you, I have never been nor could I ever be a city girl... all that noise, how in the world can you hear yourself think??
hugs.gif

BTW... My heart goes out to you, I have never been nor could I ever be a city girl... all that noise, how in the world can you hear yourself think??
hugs.gif
I have lived in the city and I would never go back !! But just last month the city I was from before I moved to the country I saw on the news some guy was keeping 250 chickens in his basement. That was kind of weird to see, and i don't remember what they did with all those chickens.

I have lived in the city and I would never go back !! But just last month the city I was from before I moved to the country I saw on the news some guy was keeping 250 chickens in his basement. That was kind of weird to see, and i don't remember what they did with all those chickens. 
That must of been a heck of a basement. Poor birds! :(

Chances are thy probably put most of them down... Sad.. People are horrible, I mean, ok, I can see one or two but 250 in an enclosed basement? Those poor animals!!!

That must of been a heck of a basement. Poor birds!
sad.png
Yeah I just watched the video they were well taken care of, but the towns animal ordinance is you must have 40,000 sq feet of out door property to keep chickens. He had rooster, hens and baby chicks. But there cages were so small
sad.png

Yeah I just watched the video they were well taken care of, but the towns animal ordinance is you must have 40,000 sq feet of out door property to keep chickens. He had rooster, hens and baby chicks. But there cages were so small :(  .
So basically a battery farm basement. Never a moment to free range, or stretch their legs. :(

hugs.gif

I actually like most of it. Great neighbors. We all pitch in to shovel out the alleys and corners when the snow comes. We take turns mowing the front parts of the yards in the summer. They like my hens!

You get used to the noise... If you are talking when a train or plane comes by you just pause and resume when it gets quiet. Same thing you'd do with loud animals?

If I could change one thing... I would get rid of all the streetlights. I can sit on my back patio at midnight and read a newspaper without squinting! I theorize that all the bad guys here are afraid of the dark, and if we turned off the lights, they would all be inside shortly after sundown. I miss the real dark.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom