Neighbor hates my chickens- will she do them harm?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Let's hope Crazy Lady never crosses that line!!!!!

No call from the Zoning Officer today! And I doubt there will be. They will do nothing until she complains again. Before the people in the foreclosure on the other side of us moved out, they filled their entire three car "garage" with garbage every year. The "garage" was really a shed with no doors. The garbage spilled out onto our property and the street. The odor of skunk filled every summer night... the garage was skunk central. Dirty diapers and broken bottles littered their yard. Their pool was full of water and had no cover. Every spring it filled up with frogs-hundreds of them. We complained to the town because the flies and mosquitoes were horrific. It took DH going over to the zoning office in person multiple times a week for months before the town finally "ordered" them to clean it up or face a fine.... once a year. How we suffered with the bugs and the smell and most of all dealing with the frustration of the town not helping us. So have fun Crazy Lady........ at least we had the health department on our side!

As you know, I've been following this since your first post and I'm firmly in your corner. But there's something that's been troubling me, and for the life of me I couldn't put my finger on it until I read this post! Um, is there a particular reason why she's doing all the complaining? I'm sure you have a good reason - after all, you're there and obviously I'm not - but it struck me that instead of waiting for her to complain to P&Z about Spock or any of the million other things she goes to them for, why not go to them this time? Tell them about her activities...the music, the dog, the spying, the destruction of stakes put up when you got ready to put up your fence, the lights, the obscene screaming...tell them all of that. Then REMIND them that you have been cooperative and staying well within legal limits this entire time and that you have complied to the best of your ability under the circumstances, but this time YOU want to file a noise and harassment complaint against her. Let them know, too, that the last thing you and DH wanted to do was become like her, running to P&Z for every little thing, but that the same laws that she is using to "protect" her family are also there to protect yours. Make sure they understand that the last thing you ever wanted to do was use the town offices for a neighborhood dispute - that you'd have preferred to be able to come to an agreement as neighbors but since that was impossible you've done everything you can to lessen your impact on her.

The other thing I don't understand, unless your town charter is set up differently than ours, is why P&Z? Here their purview is making sure that structures, fencing, and land use conform to the local development code and nothing else. Disputes between neighbors are brought before us (the town council) or the court for mediation. Your Planning and Zoning commission did their job when they came to your house to check your setup for compliance, and when they approved your 6 foot fence as opposed to granting the variance for the 8 foot one you wanted. At that point, at least here in Cowley, P&Z should then have reported to the Town council that they'd investigated your request and denied it, given the reasons, and left you free to go to the council for additional assistance. As I said, I'm here, you're there, and your community's division of responsibility might be set up differently. But I was just curious. If I've read everything correctly, your big fear is that if you go to your city officials (whichever one has jurisdiction over this situation) is that you're kinda opening the Spock Box up again and I can see where you'd rather let that sleeping dog lie.

:) Oh Blooie...sounds you live in a community that does sensible things...I live in a dysfunctional one. We have an anti-blight ordinance in our town that the Zoning office is responsible for enforcing. So that's why we went to zoning about the garbage next door. They had the power to make them clean it up... if they felt like it. We have a Noise Ordinance. However, that is enforceable by the State Police. Disputes between neighbors... the town stays out of it. In fact if they feel it is a "neighbor dispute" they will walk away and tell you that's what they are doing. That's what happened to us with the garbage next door. The town ignored us for a year. We begged, pleaded, help us please. Then the 11 year old son in the garbage house set fire to their entire back yard. He started it with gasoline. It burned within 25 feet of our barn. It burned really fast because their lawn was two feet high. That got the town's attention and they did get the health department out there shortly out after that and made them take down the pool. We purposely did not go to the town about Crazy Lady because we knew it was useless.... it took a 1/2 acre grass fire to get them to do something last time!

:) Oh Blooie...sounds you live in a community that does sensible things...I live in a dysfunctional one. We have an anti-blight ordinance in our town that the Zoning office is responsible for enforcing. So that's why we went to zoning about the garbage next door. They had the power to make them clean it up... if they felt like it. We have a Noise Ordinance. However, that is enforceable by the State Police. Disputes between neighbors... the town stays out of it. In fact if they feel it is a "neighbor dispute" they will walk away and tell you that's what they are doing. That's what happened to us with the garbage next door. The town ignored us for a year. We begged, pleaded, help us please. Then the 11 year old son in the garbage house set fire to their entire back yard. He started it with gasoline. It burned within 25 feet of our barn. It burned really fast because their lawn was two feet high. That got the town's attention and they did get the health department out there shortly out after that and made them take down the pool. We purposely did not go to the town about Crazy Lady because we knew it was useless.... it took a 1/2 acre grass fire to get them to do something last time!
I'm so sorry. I guess I need to get down on my knees again tonight and thank the Good Lord that of all the places in the world we could have settled in, we found Cowley.

I have to confess I have not read all 53 pages, but I did read enought to know what is going on.

I am lucky to have neighbors who are very nice. I also work very hard to keep it that way. When my son and his friends broke a window playing ball, I not only offered to pay for it, I replaced it myself so she wouldn't have to even lift a finger. Keeping in your neighbor's good graces is priceless.

When we decided to get chickens, I went to neighbors on both sides and across the street and told them my plan a YEAR in advance. I got blessings from all of them before I even brought home my first piece of wood for the coop.

Good neighbors are hard to find, and bad neighbors are hard to get rid of.

I feel so bad for you OP - I wish I could be your neighbor. We have a neighbor a few blocks away who has a rooster (maybe more than one?). It crows every morning at 6:30am. I think it is quaint. It is a beatiful sound that reminds me of the country. I would gladly move to the country if I could. I haven't slept past 6:30am in years, anyway!

My wife is somewhat less forgiving when the crowing roo wakes her, but with the exception of a few cool summer evenings (when we have windows open) it is but a muffled sound that she sleeps through.

I prefer the rooster crowing to the cars without mufflers that rip up the street at midnight, or the motorcycle with loud pipes that comes through at 5:30am. We have BOTH been awoken by these far more often than the roo.

Good luck to you. I hope all works out.

:) Being able to look back on all this and laugh would be awesome...I truly hope I can get there one day!!!!

Fence is done!!!! Crazy Lady wasn't around last night.... hopefully today will be quiet!

Spock in his domain. Nice to have a puppy who cleans up yesterday's squash skins!

Goat pasture... aiming for September for the goats!

:) Crazy Lady can't see through that!!!

Very nice!!! :)

Good luck with Crazy Lady.  Sounds like the kind of person who will be unhappy anywhere, but pray for her to win the lottery and move to her tropical dream home.  (Silly I know, but I'd feel horrible praying a sink hole to swallow her whole...)

I was ROllin' when I read this post! Very nice of you as I would have just done just the latter!

Wow!!I can't believe I just read this entire thread! Lol but it does remind me of a poem by Robert Frost in which he wisely states- "good fences make good neighbors." I sincerely hope everything works out for you. :)

If you read the Robert Frost poem, his neighbor says that good fences make good neighbors. The poem is about Frost's disagreement with that. (Although in the poem, they were already good neighbors. Which does not apply to this thread.)

If you read the Robert Frost poem, his neighbor says that good fences make good neighbors. The poem is about Frost's disagreement with that. (Although in the poem, they were already good neighbors. Which does not apply to this thread.)
good comment! I always thought that he wrote it as a social observation regarding the importance of boundaries-both physical and psychological. It takes the effort of both neighbors to mend the fence and the fence itself takes on the symbolism of their relationship. Even if it was in disagreement (more of a social critique) I can't help but wonder if this could've all been avoided by having either a good fence in between or even a mutual respect and understanding of the other party's boundaries. Either way- I can't believe we're discussing literature on a chicken site!! Yay! If only the rest of the world was more like BYC!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom