Neighbor hates my chickens- will she do them harm?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I might have figured out what all the banging next door was. Crazy Lady must have gotten tired of the skunks living under her shed so they did close off the space underneath. Tonight a little wandering baby skunk sprayed my dog in the pasture. I really feel like I got off easy. She got sprayed 8 years ago by an adult skunk and it was so bad that she smelled when wet for a year. She was drenched. And because I had never smelled fresh skunk before I let her in the house. Then I asked my DH if she smelled weird-like an onion maybe? His eyes got really big and he yelled, "OUT, OUT get out of the house!" Our house smelled for a good 3 months. This time I was smart and kept her outside until I had bathed her. Now just one side of her head smells. I can live with that. I also smell... bummer.

Other than some loud music a few times this week it has been pretty quiet. For whatever reason they are running a string next to their fence on their property... maybe they are putting up fence number three? Crazy....

I used to be a dealer, years ago for EcoQuest (air & water purifiers), forget what they call themselves these days. They had a product called Eco-H that was THE most amazing multi-purp cleaner I have ever used. Its not as concentrated today as it was, but still very effective.

My dog got sprayed once and we gave her a bath using straight Eco-H as the shampoo, and the smell was gone, period, just gone. Unfortunately we forgot to wash her collar too, which we quickly remedied. Shortly after that a friend of mine had the same thing happen so I gave him some Eco-H. Problem solved with one bath. And he borrowed one of my purifiers to clean the smell out of his car and home too.

Eco-H is out sourced through a different company now. HERE'S A LINK if you're interested. It's all organic and completely biodegradable and nontoxic. If your kiddies or critters drink some they might get an upset tummy, but will be fine otherwise.

I had a service acct with my local Eagles club to clean their air purifiers and used Eco-H exclusively to keep the tar & nicotine, etc from all the smoking off them. Worked like a charm with a very thin dilution. Also works on windows, etc. ANYTHING you want to clean, you can use this.

Sorry if this comes off as a commercial. I'm not in the biz any more and have no dog in the hunt and no compensation from promoting it. I just like the stuff cause it actually works as advertised, and then some.

HTH

I wish I could beam you and your place to TN across the street from us and then beam our soon to be neighbor to our old place. You would have a beautiful home site in the mountians where no one would ever bother you and she can have a lazy bum who lives on disability and is moving his $300 camper to the land across from us. We are very fortunate that he has been in rehab for many years. OH BTW he also has 3 dogs that run lose and have killed one of his goats. If they come after mine they are dead.

I might have figured out what all the banging next door was. Crazy Lady must have gotten tired of the skunks living under her shed so they did close off the space underneath. Tonight a little wandering baby skunk sprayed my dog in the pasture. I really feel like I got off easy. She got sprayed 8 years ago by an adult skunk and it was so bad that she smelled when wet for a year. She was drenched. And because I had never smelled fresh skunk before I let her in the house. Then I asked my DH if she smelled weird-like an onion maybe? His eyes got really big and he yelled, "OUT, OUT get out of the house!" Our house smelled for a good 3 months. This time I was smart and kept her outside until I had bathed her. Now just one side of her head smells. I can live with that. I also smell... bummer.

Other than some loud music a few times this week it has been pretty quiet. For whatever reason they are running a string next to their fence on their property... maybe they are putting up fence number three? Crazy....

You can buy Skunk Order Eliminator enzyme shampoo in the dog shampoo section of most big pet stores like Pet Smart. Its easy to find there is a big photo of a skunk on the label. It works well on pets as well as people. The shampoo works on hair and skin but not artificial fabrics. For fabrics you have to use vinegar. A cup in the washing machine will do the job.

Or you can go old school and use a tub of tomato juice.

You can buy Skunk Order Eliminator enzyme shampoo in the dog shampoo section of most big pet stores like Pet Smart.  Its easy to find there is a big photo of a skunk on the label.  It works well on pets as well as people.  The shampoo works on hair and skin but not artificial fabrics.  For fabrics you have to use vinegar.  A cup in the washing machine will do the job. 

Or you can go old school and use a tub of tomato juice. 
hydrogen peroxide!

mix 1 qt bottle of peroxide with 1 gallon of water and 1 tablespoon of dish liquid. put it in a spray bottle and spray the smelly spot ( our dog got smell on him when he killed a baby skunk, so it was just around his face). I sprayed and scrubbed, lathering it well then rinsed with hose. lean in and smell, then do more if needed. Works well enough and ingredients are usually on hand. He smelled for a week or so after if he got wet, but we couldn't tell it if he was dry. This also worked on our car when we hit a skunk.

Baby Lyla has been bathed and bathed...... here she is after her bath of shame. I used peroxide, baking soda and dawn...5 times. I think she's a shade lighter than she was! I also tried Nature's Miracle skunk remover... she is still stinky. Oh well..... at least it was a baby skunk!

DH mowed the pasture today so there will be no more skunks hiding in the grass. However I am not quite sure what I will do if I go out there tonight and there's a whole litter of the stinky creatures walking about! They pick through the horse manure... and that food source isn't going anywhere! But I did find where the little stinkers are getting in. Tomorrow I will put up some more wire fencing. Lots of noise next door yesterday...a grinder or something hooked up to compressor in the front yard. When I told DH he told me not to turn into Crazy Lady! He's right....so focusing on picking out the new goats for September and listening to the sound of Spock's beautiful voice.

Baby Lyla has been bathed and bathed...... here she is after her bath of shame. I used peroxide, baking soda and dawn...5 times. I think she's a shade lighter than she was! I also tried Nature's Miracle skunk remover... she is still stinky. Oh well..... at least it was a baby skunk!

DH mowed the pasture today so there will be no more skunks hiding in the grass. However I am not quite sure what I will do if I go out there tonight and there's a whole litter of the stinky creatures walking about! They pick through the horse manure... and that food source isn't going anywhere! But I did find where the little stinkers are getting in. Tomorrow I will put up some more wire fencing. Lots of noise next door yesterday...a grinder or something hooked up to compressor in the front yard. When I told DH he told me not to turn into Crazy Lady! He's right....so focusing on picking out the new goats for September and listening to the sound of Spock's beautiful voice.
LOL Smart Man.....poor pup.

I wouldn't worry too much about the skunks getting you. As long as you don't scare them they tend to ignore you.

When I was younger one night I was out at a park in the middle of the night, just sitting in the picnic area, and along came a litter of baby skunks. They came up to me looking for food, one even ended up sitting in my lap for a few seconds. Don't scare them and they don't spray.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom