Neighbor hates my chickens- will she do them harm?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Whether the neighbor is responsible for the containers or not, just based on her other behavior I'm beginning to think she needs to be locked up. She's a menace to anyone that 'bothers' her.

Here's a few pictures of the damage. I can't figure it out! But I would have to say it probably was a vehicle that did this damage. Plus the noise was SO loud! I just can't figure out how both of the containers got damaged in a single hit!

Looks like it was dragged..hard to tell but the corner is flat.

I would definitely find a way to put a padlock on the coop for night time or when your not home my fear would be more like her taking a pellet gun and shooting them from her window or from her property or throwing poison food or bad food into the coop I do suggest you get a fence between the two property lines you can afford it a brick wall would be best and then I would buy or make hundreds of wind chimes and put them all along the fence and all along the property line between your house and hers she thinks the Roosters annoying wait until you hear a bunch of wind chimes

if I were you I would definitely make a police report anytime you suspect criminal activity from them make a police report so there's always a paper trail.

Ditto, although she cannot prove it was the neighbor lady who hit her trash cans any and all destruction of property, menacing or threats should be reported. People like crazy lady don't stop, they escalate and having a paper trail will serve to show the issues have been on going. .

This is Spock: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/777222/this-has-to-be-a-rooster-right/10 And yes he turned out to be a Golden Campine rooster. At almost 6 months of age he is pretty loud now. My house is 100 ft from the coop and with the windows closed I can hear him when he crows, in or outside of the coop. It is not loud enough to wake me up. He crows when the sun comes up...8 times. Then again at 7:30 when I let him out, then usually two or 3 more times during the day- 8 times per event almost always. He seems to be gentle so far. Plus he makes me laugh and I'm keeping him! I lost both my parents this year to cancer and sometimes Spock is the only thing that makes me laugh. When I decided to keep Spock I told all my surrounding neighbors to come to me if there was an issue and I would try to do something about it. I live in a rural area on 26 acres. I am zoned for Spock, actually I could have a building with 1000 Spocks if I wanted to! But I just have 23 hens and Spock. They have a coop inside a stone building with an attached pasture area about 100' by 100' that is fenced with a 6 foot fence on 3 sides then 5 foot on the horse pasture side. Up until 2 weeks ago no one had complained. But my crazy neighbor whose house is 150 feet from Spock's coop did do various things to try to annoy me instead. I ignored her. Then she went and complained to the town. They ignored her. So then she finally complained to me in person. Told me I needed to lock my rooster in the coop because her daughter (20 year old...) was going to need to open her window at night in a couple of months and 7:30 AM was too early for her to be awakened. No please....just a demand....this after she had been purposely annoying me for the very difficult months after my father died. So I said, no. Spock's coop is 125 feet from your house. Their fence is 15 feet from your property line. Spock can be here and he goes outside at 7:30. She said, "But he is really loud." And I said, "Yes he is, bummer huh?" At first I did feel bad, but then I realized that she had tried to torture me for months and I was not going to reward her going to the town or just her bad behavior in general! Two days after she complained to me she put up a string along her property line and then put several bird feeders as close as she could get to my coop on her side. Presumbly to draw the skunks, possums to my chickens or whatever. But their coop is like Fort Knox-nothing can get in. But I am still concerned because her crazy behavior does seem to be escalating. Has anyone had a neighbor whose behavior escalated to the point of them harming the chickens? I bought a couple alarms that are for driveways-the kind that will chime in the house. I am going to hook them up to chime if the coop doors are opened. That should protect my chickens at night. I am a very light sleeper and the chime with wake me up but not my husband! Any other suggestions on coop security for hostile neighbors? Spock at 4-1/2 months....
Call me paranoid but I have a lock on each door of coop and henhouse (including the nest boxes) that way I know they are safe.

I know you neighbor is beyond crazy and it very well could have been her that did the damage, but I would bet my eye teeth your containers were hit by a vehicle - whether hers or someone elses. We have those large containers and last year our neighbor had some kind of "episode" while driving her SUV down our road. She came over from the right side of the road - hit our trash container on the left side, drove it up into our yard, across the drive and culvert - up a ditch and landed in our front yard still dragging the refuse container. She went more than 100 feet with it dragging under her front bumper. She damaged our drive, our concrete culvert and we had a trench dug through the grass. The container was damaged and we had to have it replaced - but even with her dragging it that far, it didn't have as much damage as the container you have. They are tough. I would just about bet someone hit it with a truck at a high speed to cause that much damage. If I were you I'd try to catch a glimpse of the front end of the loud white truck that has been speeding down your road. I'd be more inclined to thing a rowdy teen in a souped up truck was taking aim, especially since two containers were hit. Periodically they will do that around here and garbage cans and mailboxes are typically their preferred targets. In our case - the disposal company does not care who does the damage but the customer has to pay for a new container. Luckily there was a police report on ours and the neighbor admitted to it - so the company billed her for the damage. Of course we had to foot the bill for the damage to the lawn, the drive and culvert as her insurance wouldn't pay and we didn't want to file on ours. She crushed and caved in the end of the culvert so it wouldn't drain and knocked a chunk of concrete out of the drive that had to be repaired. The trench that was scooped up by the open lid of the can took out what took us nearly an entire pallet of grass to replace. I feel blessed that the grandchildren were not riding their bikes in the drive or on the road at the time. The police never told us what kind of medical "episode" she had but I suspect a seizure. She never braked and until she went over the upper side of our ditch and came to rest in our front yard that is the only thing that stopped her. And again, even with all that - most of the damage was to our drive, culvert and lawn. The can had a small crack and was sort of lopsided and the lid wouldn't close. I think someone had to take aim on yours and hit it head on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom