Neighbor hates my chickens- will she do them harm?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I use coke to kill any mice or rats my cats miss. Rats can't burp so the carbonated water kills them (like seagulls). And since no poison was used, if one of my cats finds and eats the body, no big deal.

What is it about men and wood piles? When we moved to this place 10 years ago the last owners left a giant woodpile next to the chicken coop. My DH insisted upon keeping all the wood. I didn't like the way it looked so he built a fence around it and it does look nice now. I think he ended up using about 1/4 of the wood, the rest we burned up in the back pasture when we had enough for a good brush fire. Well, since then the wood pile has grown again. He did clean it up and most of what is there is just fence boards-perhaps 50 or so from when we took down our old rotten wood fence. But I know that's where the rats are! I think they live under the wood and then travel in their little tunnels into the chicken coop for chow.

So last night DH set a bunch of traps in the wood pile area. I am afraid to go in there because I'm not really sure where he put them. However this morning I saw multiple chickens all looking at the fence that encloses the wood. Not with fear, but with curiosity. Hmmm. I checked and saw one trap, not sprung, missing the peanut butter and sitting atop the windowsill. I'm going to guess DH didn't put it there! I'm thinking peanut butter may not be the best choice for bait in the middle of winter. But on a good note, that's where the rats are! So maybe he got some in the traps!

So next summer's project...the wood pile has to go! Or changing traps when it's 4 degrees outside will have to continue next winter as well :) I love my DH!

PS....Too cold for cola, but maybe in the summer!!!
Also aaart sorry no news about the trash cans....a mystery.

Last edited:
I just wanted to say that I love this thread and am always pleased when I see you have made a post so from all of us here I wanted to thank you for sharing your story with us! :)

:) You know when I told my DH about the woodpile post he said, "I keep the wood because I never know what you are going to ask me to build next!" He is outside now checking the traps and had agreed the wood pile must be relocated. Yippee... however I am sure the wood relocation negotiations will be on-going with the eventual resting place being somewhere between the other side of the chicken run and a 1/4 mile out in the woods!

LOL I'm lumber hoarder too!

Did you ever find out what actually happened to the smashed dumpsters?

No, aart for now the dumpsters are a mystery! Our neighbor that likes us who used to talk to Crazy Lady all the time is not talking to her anymore. I don't know what happened, but last weekend I saw her and asked her if Crazy Lady's mother was OK. She said, "That house, who knows about THAT house." I let it go. Something happened!

Just wanted to post a picture of Crazy Lady's tarp fence. 1/2 of it still remains. Her husband has stopped fixing it. But it still hasn't come loose and ended up in my pasture yet. Three more months of winter to go!

I believe I read that Buckeye chickens are good at catching mice, I'm not sure about rats. Is that a good enough excuse to get more chickens?
big_smile.png

I have two buckeyes- Eunice and Mama! They are Warren Harding's "girls" from last year. I got them to get rid of mice, too! I have never seen them chase a mouse. But they both go right up to the dogs and get in their faces. They are quite bold! I almost ordered two more this year from Meyer Hatchery...maybe it's not too late!

Here is puppy Mimi...learning not to eat the peeps! Eunice or Mama chowing...I can't tell which, it's that awkward, funny-looking stage!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom