Neighbor hates my chickens- will she do them harm?

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's so funny about Lucky Bundy!!! I didn’t know! This year coincidently I have little peeps Marcie Darcy and Kelly-my golden cuckoo Marans. Then Rhoda and Mary, my Blue Americaunas and my Black Australorps, Mrs. Cunningham and Joanie! Then I am caring for 14 more peeps that I will raise for my friend.

DH and I worked outside in the yard today. It would have been beautiful except for me being on Doxycycline. I was beat red and burnt in just an hour in the sun even with sunscreen. Plus it was almost HOT today, 75 whole degrees! But I am feeling better and so is my puppy! The wood pile was moved this week. The rotten half of the pile is in the turnaround now and will go to curb when we have yearly “bulky waste day” in a few weeks. Then the good wood is down at the horse barn waiting for the brackets that DH will put up on the wall to keep it off of the floor. I was surprised NOT to find a whole bunch of tunnels underneath the wood pile. I did find one single hole. I threw some fresh dirt on it a few days ago and the dirt still hasn’t been moved. However, I did see one rat the other day, a very small one. I think it snuck in the coop at dusk and then couldn’t get out. It was hiding way up in the corner where I couldn’t get to it! By the next night it was gone. I’m guessing the chickens could have taken down that little rat themselves! But I am searching for their living quarters outside... moving my game camera around nightly to find them!

Our biggest task today was the spring cleaning of the chicken house. Something I like to do before it gets too buggy. All the dusty winter bedding filled 15 wheelbarrows easy. DH brought the bedding to the garden. I use it every year as mulch in between the rows to keep the weeds down. There’s not a lot of manure in it. It’s mostly all wood chips. I scraped out every corner of the coop, cleaned and dusted with Pyrethrin while DH filled the wheelbarrows and dumped them. He gets the "gold star of husband's award" today. I'm not much for asking for help and I'm very picky. DH is the same way. A combination which means that normally both us have our own independent hobby and chores. Plenty to do around here! But Lyme disease means I have to let DH help me and he really was a patient guy.

The task took us about an hour and a half. Usually I don’t stay in my coop that long! As I cleaned it kept getting hotter and hotter outside and then all of sudden I smelled it. Death. That icky smell where you say, “Ew, something died in here.” Then I jumped for joy! The giant winter rats! We must have gotten the rats! I don’t know exactly how many we got and unless the smell gets REALLY bad, we are not taking down the eves to find out! Today….oh yes, today was a good day! My coop stinks!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:
The beehive is here! When DH and I were placing it last night it was purely by chance at the same time Crazy Lady's husband was driving out their driveway. So I'm pretty sure that it was noticed as it is clearly visible from the road. I heard no music today when I was outside, just a very large argument coming from next door-inside the house. Crazy's Lady's husband was VERY LOUD... The only word's I clearly understood were, "So you're just going to go down there?" Then nothing else was audible...really....so it could mean anything. But it could be she's going to complain to the town again. We haven't heard a thing from the town regarding Spock and Warren Harding..no cease and desist letter either..but I have to say that another complaint from Crazy Lady would certainly help our cause!

The hive...locating away from prying puppy paws!

^x2. I would move that hive away from any fence she's on the other side of. A well placed fogger, spray or a handful of Sevin would spell disaster for your hive. I have bees, they're very rewarding, and I wouldn't be able to bear the thought of them being so close to someone as vindictive as she....

Good luck with them!

God help you if the bees forage in her yard.....wouldn't take much to poison them, or give her another litigious health claim(someone in her household will be allergic).

Ditto and ditto and ditto!

where'd you order your hive from?

Have you seen the new Zealand self draining beehive? Or maybe it's Australian..... so cool

Last night as I cleaned out one of my flower beds, Crazy Lady drove past my house at a crawl with her beady eyes staring at me. Her pasty white face was etched in a hateful scowl. I smiled and did the old “scratch the side of my face with my middle finger” move. She’s angry because she’s afraid. And for someone who lives to control the people around her, fear is weakness and she doesn’t want her minions to see any weakness. And while she knows what annoys me, I know what makes her tick. Geese, donkeys and peafowl will only serve to annoy. I need to go in a different direction.

I talked with Crazy Lady about getting a hive for pollination about 5 years ago. When I did she “told” me that I “couldn’t” get any bees because she was allergic. Then I asked her if she carried an epi pen just in case she was stung in her yard (which is FULL of giant flowering trees and perennials by the way). She said “No, I’m not that allergic.” That’s when I realized she was just irrationally afraid of a group of bees and making up the allergic thing. Maybe she envisioned a swarm chasing her around the yard, enveloping her in a cloud of stingers. Who knows? She justifies her fear with ridiculous made up reasons. But I didn't get my bees then because I wanted to keep the peace.

Now there will be bees…or at least a hive. I’m not worried about her hurting the bees if we do end up getting them. The hive is fenced on all four sides. She would have to climb a ladder in clear view of the road and somehow manage to spray over two 6 foot high fences that are set two feet apart. Or she would have to trespass and spray through a wire fence. No way…she’s too scared she would be caught. Why would she think she would be caught? Well, because I just ordered a few of those fake security cameras with the fake solar things so they look real!

I’m not sure what Crazy Lady does on her side of the fence but whatever it is she is highly protective of her privacy. The cameras will be placed so that she can see them….and wonder who’s watching her now. I’ve only just begun… I want my life back. She will leave us alone.

Depending on the state, messing with bees can have some very serious repercussions. If she messes with the bees, she could get in big trouble.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom