Neighbor hates my chickens- will she do them harm?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My oldest golden Lyla is nine and a half. She’s not a healthy dog. She starting having seizures at age five, was diagnosed with hip dysplasia at age 7 and Inflammatory Bowel Disease at 8 1/2. But she rallied and a year later she’s still here. Slow of foot and a bit wobbly from the mass amounts of anti-seizure meds she takes, but still here. She eats, she walks in the woods with me every day and her quality of life is still good. I love her very much. And as long as her good days still outnumber the bad, I will take care of her and keep her safe.

I don’t know how it happened, but Lyla’s full sister from another litter-they are two years apart- is quite healthy at age 7 ½ now. No genetic diseases at all, knock on wood. Her hips are wonderful and she is as perfect as a golden can be. We got our 3rd golden baby Mimi a little over a year ago. I did research this time and found the best breeder I could find. Mimi is gorgeous and EXTREMELY full of energy and drive that Penny doesn’t have. Mimi is a golden bred to compete, to retrieve 30 ducks in a day while hunting or run an agility course at full speed. Keeping her exercised and challenged on a daily basis is quite the task!

Lyla needs so much attention too. Between giving Lyla her pills 6 times a day and making sure Mimi doesn’t eat anything from the laundry basket or chew on the cat too much, sometimes Penny doesn’t get as much attention as she truly deserves. It’s easy to forget Penny because she’s just such a good dog. I call her name; turn around and then just about trip over her. She’s my shadow. Penny is a reflection of my emotions. When I am sad, so is she. When I am frightened she clings to my side. And when I am happy she smiles from ear to ear.

When we visited my parents I would always open the front door and says, “Where’s Grampa? Where is he? Where’s Gramma?” Then Lyla and Penny would dash from room to room. I knew when I heard Penny’s golden song, “Woooooooooooo” that meant she had found them. That was her joyous hello reserved only for the very special people in her life. She’s a talky dog.

After my father died I had to go to my parents’ house to begin the process of dealing with all the stuff. That awful process of touching things that used to belong to the people you love and then having to decide what to do with it. It’s such a hard thing. I still haven’t finished even now, two years later. There are boxes I may never open because just thinking about what’s in them is still too painful to bear. The clothes my dad wore the last time he was in the hospital and the contents of his dresser drawer with all the little trinkets that he saved over a lifetime. How can I just throw them away? His shoes that I can still remember what they looked like on his feet.

To see the place I grew up in empty of my parents but still with all their stuff inside was one of the hardest I have ever had to do. As I walked up to the front door my limbs didn’t want to move. I went into their house with a level of grief in my heart only surpassed by the moments that they had died. So imagine my surprise when Penny joyfully bolted through the front door! She dashed up the stairs and into the kitchen. Then she looked back at me smiling and panting.

“Wooooooooo,” her golden talk filled the air. Were my parents still here? Could she feel them? Was she joyful because they were not in pain anymore? I didn't understand. I let her outside so she and Lyla could chase the squirrels away from the birdfeeder. I swear I could hear my dad laughing, “Get ‘em. Get those stupid squirrels!” The fresh squirrels waiting to the last minute before they took off. Then dashing up a tree and taunting the dogs just out of reach. It was the same game, one the dogs would never win. But it sure had made my dad laugh.

Squirrels gone, Penny came back to me, happy and wagging her tail as she licked the tears from my face. As I cleaned out the house in the months that followed Penny was never anything but joyful. And then when I stepped out of my childhood home for the last time-somehow her joy made it not quite so hard.

Penny at 8 months and Penny at 7 years....still happy...

Thank you for sharing about your parents, the puppies, and the squirrels, what a wonderful memory to have. Puppies make everything just a little better, they give such joy.
smile.png
I agree, they know.

June is a very unhappy month for me because it’s when my parents died. Then of course there is today, Father’s Day- the last bit of darkness before the light at the end of the tunnel called July. I wish that I could just enjoy June the way I used to. It really is the most beautiful month. The cherries begin to get ripe and I can finally take a count of how many apples are on our trees. This year, most trees are so loaded it’s impossible to count them. 2015 appears to be the year of the fruit tree. Last year my peppers and pumpkins grew like mad but all the cherries rotted and fell from the tree. It’s all in the weather.

Last Friday was a particularly bad day. After work I spent perhaps an hour wandering around the yard looking at all the plants from my dad. I just miss him so much. I went up to my rock garden and weeded a little. My dad’s bench is there and the little birdbath I gave him for Father’s Day when I was a kid. Seeing that made me smile because he loved it and I can still remember the spot it was in his garden-nestled behind his collection of coral bells. I looked down at my chicken pen and oh boy here we go again. There was Crazy Lady, past the end of the fence, foot on her spaded shovel, staring at me. Sigh.

About a week ago she put up white plastic panel about 3 feet high and 5 feet long past the end of her fence closest to the road. It looks terrible from both directions. I have no idea why she put it there. DH said it was probably to hide the spot he doesn’t mow right there. It’s just a couple of inches of weeds and it’s in between the fences. I guess it’s his way of protesting. She also began planting flowers past the end of the fence as well. So every time I go to work in my vegetable garden she is there, pretending to work on her flowers 20 feet away from me. Why? She just won’t leave me alone. There has been no more music since she installed her security camera on the 2nd floor. Also not a word from the town about Spock! Why won’t she just stay away! The saga continues...

DH is rather done with the harassment. Yesterday he moved our antique rusty metal 8 foot long York rake over to the properly line right next to her new “garden”. Then he moved a large pile of rocks there as well- all the stones leftover from the wall he built in front of our house. He plans to make a two foot high raised bed out of stone about 6 inches from the property line and fill it with dirt. Our York rake will sit in it. But 6 inches away didn’t make sense to me.

“Why not put it right on the property line?” I asked, “How will you mow behind it?”

“I guess I can’t,” he said. “But we wouldn’t want there to be any question about whose property it’s on.” Oh that DH! He does make me smile!

Well, we didn’t have to worry about determining how far 6 inches from the property line was because not an hour after he dumped all the rocks Crazy Lady and her DH came outside. As I shoveled my chicken compost I saw them running a string and verifying that not one rock was over the line. Really?

But yesterday was a good day-believe it or not. The rocks are apparently driving Crazy Lady…well….crazy. Judging by the few words I managed to hear when she was having a very loud argument with her husband, she can’t take it because she doesn’t know what we are going to do. I told DH and he said sympathetically, “That’s too bad.” Then he just smiled. Yesterday was a good day, even though I do feel a little guilty about why it was a good day. But I’ll take my one happy day in June and count myself blessed. Today…well I’m off to my garden to weed now…and remember my dad.

June is hard for me too.....
Fathers Day, my Dad committed suicide 20 year ago.
The 22nd, 3 years ago, the day my 33 yo son died of an overdose of alcohol and heroin.
After May, Mothers day and my son's birthday.

This is for pets really but I find the second line helps a bit to apply it to the grief over the humans I have lost as well:

We know from the minute we let them into our hearts, that one day they will break them.

The joy we gain by loving them will, in time, once again outweigh the sadness they can bring to our lives.

We will prevail and survive the sadness, we take a little joy wherever we can find it.

That's beautiful Aart and it does apply... thank you. I'm sorry for your losses too... and I hope your June someday is better! I am not going to give up hoping for a June where I see all the beauty around me and my first thought is happiness. Never giving up....

That's beautiful Aart and it does apply... thank you. I'm sorry for your losses too... and I hope your June someday is better! I am not going to give up hoping for a June where I see all the beauty around me and my first thought is happiness. Never giving up....
I was thinking today, the older we get the more references to death in certain months we will start to pile up, better get used to it.
Thanks and hang in there.

Last edited:
June is a hard month.

When I was six, it was the month my dad left. My mum found out he was cheating the day before my brothers birthday and tried to keep a lid on it until his birthday had passed but it didn't work. He left on my brothers birthday. It was the month that signalled the end of my childhood, because it took me a long time to truly laugh after that. My mum tried to maintain that everything was fine but she struggled with money troubles due to now being a single parent. It was a lengthy and painful divorce. I am reconciled with him now but every Father's Day I see him, I can't help but remember all the years he wasn't a father to me.

I'm sorry for your losses, Aart and TSG. Grief is a strange and awful beast, it demands to be fed, because if you just push it into the corner of your mind, it gnaws away at who you are.

I know it's easier said than done but stay strong.

Last edited:
The year before my mom died she started writing down all of her recipes for me. So today I made her Vermont maple baked beans. They were delicious. I don’t think that mine will ever be quite as good but the house sure smelled awesome! My Mom’s beans were predictable and always perfect. She brought them to every family party by request and they always tasted the same- sweet and so tender with just a hint of onion and salt pork.

When I brought home my rusty giant York rake a few weeks ago I knew it was not going to make Crazy Lady very happy to have it sitting on the property line. An antique piece of equipment to remind her every day as she drove up her driveway that yes, in fact, she lived next to a farm. She is like my mother’s beans, totally predictable. I figured a week or two of ear shattering music would be her method of torture. And she did play the music for three days after my DH dragged the York rake over where she could see it. But that was it. Now I’m starting to think she might be going off the paranoid deep end. Last weekend she and her husband had a very loud argument-louder than I’ve ever heard. I couldn’t hear the words with an ever-growing line of trees and 2 six foot solid fences between us. But I did hear the end of the last shouting match, it was her husband. “Stop it, just stop it!” He yelled it three or four times. And then the next day here comes her husband driving up with a truck full of plastic white fencing. Hmmm? Who could have predicted this and exactly whose bad idea was it?

Last week was when my DH finished his “rock box” next to Crazy Lady’s property line for the rusty old York rake to sit on top of. He really loves to stack rocks! I also planted a few more bushes, small ones. And as I finished my planting I stood up and looked over at Crazy Lady’s house. Lo and behold now I know where the camera is pointing-right at the end of the two fences. It’s pointing right at me where I stand when I water my little garden. Is that the only place she can get a really good glimpse of me now? OK, that’s pretty creepy, but predictable.

Well, also as predicated Crazy Lady didn’t like DH being so close to the property line and building a rock box. So first she made her husband dig up about two feet of sod on the property line all the way up to the road. Just to make sure we knew exactly where the line was. As if the giant stake in the ground wasn’t good enough. In fact she was so still paranoid that the next night she put up a wire fence right on the property line. Well, apparently that wasn’t enough either. So today her husband put up a four foot high solid white fence all the way to the big tree, which is about 15 or so feet from the road. DH and I are still debating whose idea the new fence was. But I think he’s right. That fence never would have gone up unless Crazy Lady wanted it
But I think the fence looks great! I don’t care if they got a zoning permit or the fence is really only supposed to be three feet high by town regulations instead of four! It’s awesome. It’s high enough so that as I work in my garden I can’t even see her car anymore when it pulls out of the driveway. Wait a minute, isn’t that new fence a site view obstruction? And I can’t see her ridiculous sign anymore either! As I sit here tonight in my house full of the smell of my mother’s beans, I am happy. Of course Crazy Lady still has a camera pointed at me, but oh well you can’t have everything!

:) No more sign!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom