Neighbor just bought a flock, Can I still free range my chickens ?

Kerri1

Hatching
Apr 11, 2016
I have a small group of 3 partridge Plymouth rock hens that have been free ranging on my back lot for the last 3 years. My neighbor just got chicks and plans to free range his on his small backyard adjacent to ours. We have no fencing. My chickens always stay near the house but I am concerned they will not get along. He isn't sure what type of chicks he bought, he said possibly Rhode Island reds. Should I just build a fenced in structure?? I don't want my girls hurt by the new one's. Any suggestions??

Wow a lot of question marks on this one...
If it were me I would likely play it out and see how it goes. My concerns are these...
They may enjoy each other's company to the extent that they begin to merge into one flock as you may see your hens in his coop or them in yours.
You also may see them fight to the point they leave each other alone... ( I doubt this would be the case )
If they start to integrate they would begin setting a new pecking order as yours are older they would more than likely be the ones hurting your neighbors flock trying to remain in control.
My question is will there be any Roos present in either flock? If so that would change the game completely.
A fence is a simple solution but no fence will allow for a very good learning opportunity!!

Wow a lot of question marks on this one...
If it were me I would likely play it out and see how it goes. My concerns are these...
They may enjoy each other's company to the extent that they begin to merge into one flock as you may see your hens in his coop or them in yours.
You also may see them fight to the point they leave each other alone... ( I doubt this would be the case )
If they start to integrate they would begin setting a new pecking order as yours are older they would more than likely be the ones hurting your neighbors flock trying to remain in control.
My question is will there be any Roos present in either flock? If so that would change the game completely.
A fence is a simple solution but no fence will allow for a very good learning opportunity!!

X2 I'm assuming you don't have a rooster, but if he does, I'm going to guess the rooster is going to try to integrate your hens into his flock.
I do think the birds may well try to integrate. If you don't want that to happen, put up a fence.
Or if the chickens get along and you and your neighbor get along and the birds lay different color eggs, you can just make sure you all get the right eggs. But then it might be a case of which chickens are eating whose food?

welcome-byc.gif

It's possible for the birds to coexist but it's also very common for chickens to not be very welcoming to unfamiliar chickens however I've only seen this happen when someone tried to add one adult hen into her flock of other hens and then hens rejected the new comer.

I would fence your birds in - otherwise you can get cross infections/diseases etc. If the birds are good flyers you may have to angle the fence at the top to keep his/yours birds separate. I do think fences make the best neighbors in this case.

Thanks for all the replies. I was, one ,concerned for safety, and leaning towards building a large fenced in area. Health is another concern, so limiting interaction is good. And for obvious reasons I don't want my chickens to "coop" with theirs or vice versa, as I already have my own flock. So good fences makes good neighbors is the way to go. :)

No rooster on my end , I do not know on theirs. But after reading all the replies I believe the easiest solution is a large fenced in area for my girls. Thanks

Back
Top Bottom