Neighbor threatening to "take out my roosters"

Kathryn4629

Songster
9 Years
Mar 4, 2010
Colbert, WA
I really hope this this is the right section.

Ok so here is the deal. I live on 20 acres and have pretty much no restrictions on what I can do with the land as far as livestock and such.

I have recently moved my garden to the southern portion of the property along the driveway. Due to the soil being better and it not frosting so Early in the season. As soon as I started planting the neighbor next to that property line came over to chat. I have to say that I have always gotten along with all the surrounding neighbors, and had very positive experiences with this guy in the past.

The first thing out of his mouth is "don't be surprised if your roosters go missing or you find them dead"
ep.gif
then proceeded to ask why I moved my garden over to this property line, and said that I should move it back. This is after he watched me struggle with the rototiller for days to till under a 16x200 plot (I sell produce at a farmers market and other places)

He also went on to tell me how much my horses annoyed him and that my field looked like crap, and he moved to the country for peace and quiet "not this noise crap" This is the man that moved out here from the city built a cookie cutter house and spends hours a day mowing his field so it all looks like a golf course, the only animals they have are two cats that come over and pee on everything around my house and especially my flower beds. I have never said anything and didn't plan to.

So here is what i said: Well, actually I am planning on butchering those two roosters and I have 40 chicks in the garage and will be KEEPING a couple roosters around for flock protection and fertilizing eggs. I completely ignored the garden comment. And said that the horses are not going anywhere. And.... guess what?? I am getting 6 ewes delivered next week. HA

So since then I have been out in the garden everyday working by bum off. Every day he comes out in his yard hands on hips staring at me and shaking his head. I am thinking about offering him a dozen eggs a week as a peace offering. Maybe that would help? A lot of the surrounding neighbors buy eggs from me. I am not good with confrontation, I immediately start shaking and want to cry when someone is angry with me or yelling at me. I want to get along with the people around me. I also think he was trying to intimidate me because I am a 25 year old single woman. Maybe he thought that he could tell me what to do because he is an older gentleman (50-60ish)

What do you guys think that I should do??

Hi this sounds like a terrible situation to be in and I am like you in that I hate confrontation, I have had this once with a neighbour and a noisy rooster but I don't have anywhere near as much land as you and live in a built up area
sad.png
I would not bother giving him eggs he sounds horrible! you could just ignore him after all it is up to you what you do on your land and if there are no restrictions he can't do anything, how far is his house from yours and how far are the roos from him? it does sound like they are irritating him, they can start crowing in the early hours it may be worth you moving them back as far away from him as possible or he may take it into his own hands! he had no right to speak to you like that though.

wow, the fact that he comes out every day to glare at you sounds really confrontational. I'm not exactly sure what you should do, but I don't recommend crying in front of him. Then he'll just know that he can intimidate you. You don't move to farm land if you are offended by farm animals. If there are truly no livestock restrictions on your land, then don't worry about it. Ignore him as best you can, keep your animals off his land as best you can, and ask him to kindly keep his cats off your land...as sweetly as humanly possible.

Don't give him free eggs unless you can throw them at him! If he has a problem with the roosters he could have said it in a nicer way.
I would just move the roosters at night time. Build them a seperate little coop somewhere farther away from Mr. Grumpy's house. Then, at a reasonable time in the morning, let the roosters be with the hens again.

I agree with everyone, don't offer free eggs. My older neighbor luckily enjoys listening to the roosters and has told me. Stand your ground, it's your property and you can do with it what you want. I know it's hard, but stay strong!!

thats so sad people can be like that

i wouldnt give him anything and i would also register your animals to the local sheriff so they know what you have and also report his actions

so if he does take the law in his own hands and hurts your animals he can get into alot of trouble

I can't offer much in the way of advice but I can sympathize. We had a neighbor like that and I hate confrontations as much as you do. Our neighbor called the township a couple times to complain about our yard being a "mess". The thing was, we were in a rural community and "mess" was not spreading chemicals on our lawn to suppress weeds or mowing twice a week. They kept their yard like a subdivision but the nearest subdivision was miles away. Luckily the township came out and shook their heads at the neighbors. We were doing just fine for where we lived. But the neighbor kept up with her nastiness, complaining about us behind the fence LOUDLY when she had company. I would suffer from anxiety attacks when she started up. We moved to an even more rural area but haven't sold the house yet. I got a call from our realtor the other day saying that the neighbor called her with a threat - that if we didn't mow the lawn she'd call the township -_- Not a request or a concern, a threat. But the township, once again, is on our side and says we only have to mow once a month and we have it mowed every other week!

Anyway, if I had any advice at all, it would be to contact your township and give them a head's up about the issue and see what your rights are and what his rights are. If they're supportive at all, they'll help you out. We put up a privacy fence to get rid of that lady and it ticked her off big time but it worked pretty well because she couldn't really complain after that... except for the grass which is her problem.

Make sure you've got a copy of your survey on-hand so the next time he grumps about your garden location (or nabs veggies he thinks are on his property) you can point out where the property line is relative to the fence/drive/road whatever. Maybe also keep a copy of your local codes handy, tabbed/highlighted/referenced per your particular situation, in case it comes up in "conversation".

I'd call the cops and file a report about his threat to your pets (the roosters). Just to have it on file, in case something horrid happens. Mount a game camera just in case, and secure your chickens at night. Otherwise, ignore him.

Quote:

Quote: Gee, does he happen to have a SILENT lawnmower???? I rather doubt it! Maybe it's time to tell him you won't complain about his mower noise if he'll keep his trap shut about your roosters.

And maybe a little lesson about how roosters do come with country living would be in order. I wonder what rock he's been living under in the city, that it's such a surprise to him.

Threats to do harm to your animals should be reported, IMO.

Quote: That is probably what he thinks, that he can intimidate you into doing what he wants you to do. You need to stay firm and not let yourself be bullied or you won't have any enjoyment of your place. Bullies are everywhere in this life.

Last edited:
His attitude is downright confrontational, and just plain out of wack in comparison to your other neighbors. If you are feeling at all threatened, I would take it to the local law enforcement immediately - even just to get their advice.

My best advice to you now? document every single interaction - if you come to them as an "emotional young lady" they will treat you like that... if you come to them with written log/journal of the interactions and what has occured between you two, they will see you as someone to be taken seriously. Be factual, state what was said.. try to leave emotion out of it.

Back
Top Bottom