Neighbor's chickens over here. Mad as Heck!

would your husband possibly volunteer to help them build a run since they have a problem with their chickens getting out and you would hate for that huge hawk you keep seeing to get them. If they are so mean and wild I dont think the kid has much to do with them. If they start disappearing one by one maybe they would take it more seriously. Did you mention the mean stray dog and maybe a bobcat you saw recently? Definately talk to them, tell them you dont want your chickens mixing and that their eating your food is getting expensive. If you tell them your fears and they still dont act, Dont feel bad or blame yourself if you HAVE to act to solve the problem because at that point I would say your neighbor doesnt care.

Last edited:
Definately talk to them, tell them you dont want your chickens mixing and that their eating your food is getting expensive.

I told him that and he pointed to where he keeps his feed!!!!

My husband wouldn't lift a finger to help them because he feels disrespected.

I will try the soft gun approach first. If that doesn't work then you guys have given me many other options!

Thank you so much for all of your input.​

Clip their wings! They won't be able to fly over a three foot tall section of chicken wire. Only problem would be if the neighbor doesn't put them somewhere safe at night they won't be able to get into trees.

I like having chickens running around. We call them "mobile lawn ornaments".

Maybe just try to look on the bright side. They're turning your bugs into fertilizer and maybe leaving you a few eggs to boot.

If this is one of the big problems in your life, you're way ahead of average.

I like having chickens running around. We call them "mobile lawn ornaments".

Maybe just try to look on the bright side. They're turning your bugs into fertilizer and maybe leaving you a few eggs to boot.

If this is one of the big problems in your life, you're way ahead of average.

Yes, I love having chickens running around....MY OWN CHICKENS.

Your comment about this being one of the big problems in my life is rather snide. You don't know me or my problems. I was merely asking for advice.​

Quote:
Yes, I love having chickens running around....MY OWN CHICKENS.

Your comment about this being one of the big problems in my life is rather snide. You don't know me or my problems. I was merely asking for advice.

And that's what I gave you, no 'snideness' intended, but maybe my perspective is skewed by a couple friends with terminal cancer. Just trying to help you look on the bright side of a situation that isn't so dreadful in the grand scheme of things.

There are some pretty sweet airsoft guns out there that would hurt, but not harm them. Or you could just try to train them to stay in your own separate run and keep their eggs for yourself.

Quote:
actually there ARE laws about roaming livestock. it is not only a civil penality (damages) but a criminal offense as well
http://asci.uvm.edu/equine/law/fence/nc_fnc.htm

68-15. Term "livestock" defined

The word "livestock" in this Chapter shall include, but shall not be limited to, equine animals, bovine animals, sheep, goats and swine.

68-16. Allowing livestock to run at large forbidden
If any person shall allow his livestock to run at large, he shall be guilty of a Class 3 misdemeanor.

68-17. Impounding livestock at large; right to recover costs and damages
Any person may take up any livestock running at large or straying and impound the same; and such impounder may recover from the owner the reasonable costs of impounding and maintaining the livestock as well as damages to the impounder caused by such livestock, and may retain the livestock, with the right to use with proper care until such recovery is had. Reasonable costs of impounding shall include any fees paid pursuant to G.S. 68-18.1 in order to locate the owner.

68-18. Notice and demand when owner known
If the owner of impounded livestock is or becomes known to the impounder, actual notice of the whereabouts of the impounded livestock must be immediately given to the owner and the impounder must then make demand upon the owner of the livestock for the costs of impoundment and the damages to the impounder, if any, caused by such livestock.

lol I didn't even read the date on hte original post... just saw it on the list of "new posts"

well, it's always good for others to know that there are laws to cover roaming livestock as well.

Back
Top Bottom