Neighbors chickens taking over my property!

The neighbors birds are after easy eats. With time they will accept your birds into fold but you will also be sparing neighbor's feed bill. Neighbors birds may also move into your coop, at least a rooster or two. Once they move in, then in my eyes they are yours. Roosters on your side might repel neighbors flock; some of my roosters would when chicks are involved.

The other thing I was wondering is if your neighbor isn't feeding them enough. Some people don't feed much on purppose, to force the chickens to forage more. They end up having to search farther and farther away from the coop, to get enough to eat. Some people also only feed grain, because it's cheap. Then the chickens have to forage really hard, to make up for the missing protein.

It made me think of it again, when I read about the neighbor calling them in. It may be that's when they actually get fed. That would certainly make them come running home. That would also explain their love affair with your yard, coop and feed. If that's the case, you might have a harder time discouraging them.

For new people reading this, I just want to say that my chickens have all been great foragers. They will forage all day long. I've always free fed them. They don't need to be starved on purpose, to get them to forage.

The real problem here is that your neighbor told your daughter not to chase her chickens. Since you are new to the area this tells me they are accustomed to having their chickens roam your property. Entitlement if you will. It's now up to you to reset those boundaries. I would walk over to the neighbor, knock on the front door, and very politely let them know that I don't mind their chickens roaming around (as you indicated) but do not tell my daughter(politely) what she can do on her own property. This will not work by the way. No way around it. Your neighbor will be defensive and resentful. I say this because no well rounded person would ever chastise a new neighbors kid for running their livestock off of their own property. But your message will still be heard. Well as Robert Frost said "good fences make good neighbors"

Originally Posted by Alaskan

I would first try talking nicely to the neighbor, and explain that her chickens are eating your feed and beating up your chickens, and can she think of some way to fix it?

X3
I would give them a chance to do the right thing, but I would not alternate days with them, there shouldn't be any days you have to keep your chickens in because your neighbors chickens are coming over. Oh yes bring on the hose!

They are absolutely gorgeous chickens...I couldn't take away anyones "babies" but I also want to protect mine.

...Oh no, i'd never pourposely let the dog out on them. .....

You need to reconcile this type of attitude toward the chickens else you'll never develop a satisfactory solution.

Protection of your property is a serious matter that neighbors need to understand has real consequences.

From the sounds of it your unlikely to get a diplomatic solution out of it, Its going to require you to physically intervene in some way.

The most permanent solution sounds like a 5' fence and clip the wings of the neighbor birds that manage to fly over it.

You need to reconcile this type of attitude toward the chickens else you'll never develop a satisfactory solution.

Protection of your property is a serious matter that neighbors need to understand has real consequences.

From the sounds of it your unlikely to get a diplomatic solution out of it, Its going to require you to physically intervene in some way.

The most permanent solution sounds like a 5' fence and clip the wings of the neighbor birds that manage to fly over it.
I wholeheartedly agree. You have livestock, you have children, you need to let your neighbor know that the property line isn't a suggestion.

In some states (not Ohio any more, sadly) you can force your neighbor to pay half the costs of a line fence.

Last edited:

Be careful with the wing clipping part, if owner protest you can get into legal trouble because animals will have been "mutilated".

Back
Top Bottom