Neighbors may be teasing my Emu & Ostrich - Need help w/ correct wording for a sign...

I have signs on my fence with an ostrich on them that states : I can make it to the fence in 3 seconds, can you ?

I'm not sure if they are technically trespassing is the problem. They may just be on the dirt road literally screaming at them and working themselves up as children seem to try to like to be work themselves up into a fit for the fun of it. I think I'm going to put electric signs up, without making it electric and then some diplomatic sign about the birds being very sensitive, so please do not disturb them. I will leave out that male ostriches can be dangerous for sake of being accused with harboring a known dangerous animal. But I'll think this over a few more days before making a final decision in case anyone else can come up with a better solution.

I have signs on my fence with an ostrich on them that states : I can make it to the fence in 3 seconds, can you ?

That might be a good one, too. I have one sign only. It simple says. Livestock Guardian on Duty. Do not disturb. Which I felt was an appropriate way to address that. It's posted on my front drive gate. She will attack a stranger if I am not home to protect her sheep.

Last edited:
Also, the frontage my property has on the street was already oak-tree lined and I've since filled in all the gaps with bamboo and various other plants to make as impenetrable a visual barrier as I can.

If I was you and considering what you said about curious strangers, I'd plant that six foot buffer with some type of plant or tree that will make a thick screen.

I actually tried this on another part of my property to block my neighbors from seeing over my fenceline and give me some privacy. Literally everything died. It's tough growing things in Arizona. Some of the easiest, fastest growing biggest shrubs are deadly toxic.

'You get to see them closer if you are quiet and still. Throw some sultanas over the fence, and just sit and watch.'

se

I think I'm leaning to bluffing the fence as an electric and a polite sign explaining what exactly ratites are (zoo style) and then mention that they can bite if you get too close. Now to find a web site that sells zoo style information placards...

I'm sorry this is happening... I would go crazy. It isn't fair to the birds that those kids aren't behaved! I would plaster my fence in "No Trespassing" signs. Like every 10 feet, if not less. Maybe you can find giant ones somewhere, too? And "Trespassers Will Be Prosecuted"... or "Do not tease/scream/shout at the birds"... or my favorite, "GO AWAY!"

I wonder... if you found and hung up some of those opaque privacy sheets that construction crews put up while they work, if that would help? At least on the side of the fence that faces the road.

I hope you get it cleared up, this is no fun. :p

What sort of facts or warnings do you think would be good, but not make the birds sound like a threat to the neighborhood or public? I saw a site years ago that sold similar signs to those you see at zoos. I thought maybe one of those might seem friendly and will probably mention something about their potential danger without being like, "KEEP OUT OR AN EMU WILL GIVE YOU A FLYING KICK AND THEN HISS".

Does anyone know what site I'm talking about or know of another? It would be fun to get them for all the animals, really.

Last edited:
I like this one

BeSafeZoo.jpg

Back
Top Bottom